Author Topic: Butternut squash - any point in growing without a greenhouse?  (Read 9871 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Butternut squash - any point in growing without a greenhouse?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 16:58:10 »
daileg Have to agree with you on the gem squash, totally delicious, not a great crop last year, but here's to a longer and better summer eh!

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 19:50:40 »
Mmm Gem Squash sound nice. I wonder if you could cook them in the bonfire like potatoes and put cheese in the middle?

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 21:40:30 »
I've cooked slices of pumpkin in foil like that. But IMO Gem Squash are best when you prick the skins, boil for 15 to 20 mins (maybe more I can never remember!), cut in half, scoop the seeds out, add some butter and if feeling naughty sugar - and eat  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 21:54:31 »
You should have no problem growing butternuts at all unless we have a really bad summer if you give them what they want. Don't start them too early especially if you don't have a greenhouse and be prepared to pot on till they are quite tall and in big pots. I have grown some very long season squash in  Yorkshire by doing this. Some buttternuts are faster to mature than others so check the seedsman for growing length.

They will not do well in a greenhouse unless it is very large as they really want some room.

There are many many squash with many different tastes, I have  grown them for many years and have a big collection of seeds as most folks know.

You should be fine with decent growing conditions,

Up a sunny fence would be OK, be prepared to support them as they do not cling on like beans, also be careful as some butternurs are bush types and not vines so they would be useless on a fence.

Have fun

XX Jeannine

Oh to add ... the very best in my opinion are the Delicata family
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 21:57:58 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal