Author Topic: please help people have the right to keep chickens!  (Read 21673 times)

Oldhippy

• Quarter Acre
Re: please help people have the right to keep chickens!
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 10:03:04 »
She`s right, you wouldn`t have  a lawn left if you let the hens on to it. It`s not the eating of the grass that`s the problem, it`s the scratching.
I`ve got my hens fenced off at one end of the garden where I`ve got fruit trees etc and there`s not a single blade of grass in that area but the soil is scratched to the finest of fine tilths!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 14:42:41 »
Many thanks for this, my parents have been after keeping chickens on their allotment and was told that they could not as it was stated in the covenants.

Obviously I have emailed them the link, now all we have to do is wait for the poo to hit the fan!

WELL..? did it....?hit the fan... ;D..I'm really interested what is going to happen..we have this argument going on in our site..opinions are at the moment 50/50..so if I drop the legal stuff to argument...I don't think I'll me treasurer next year .. ::) oh..well..one have to what is right...I love chickens..... ;D

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 23:25:05 »
Many thanks for this, my parents have been after keeping chickens on their allotment and was told that they could not as it was stated in the covenants.

Obviously I have emailed them the link, now all we have to do is wait for the poo to hit the fan!

WELL..? did it....?hit the fan... ;D..I'm really interested what is going to happen..we have this argument going on in our site..opinions are at the moment 50/50..so if I drop the legal stuff to argument...I don't think I'll me treasurer next year .. ::) oh..well..one have to what is right...I love chickens..... ;D
You dont want to be treasurer do you? That is a god awful job. It is usually the post that everyone tries to avoid. I am a secretary of one society and i remember the appointment of the treasurer was like giving someone the poisoned chalice.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 16:48:18 »
Ok..nearly a year later on this topic and we are still battling for and agains on this issue..and our society's AGM is next weekend :-X I already know this keeping chickens issue is coming up again ::)
So could somebody clear my 'foggy' brain up and spell it loud and clear the answer for our issue...
We are private site..on our rules (originally 1948) chickens were allowed, this rule was then amended  against with majority vote. Does the allotment act over ride our own rules or not?
I suspect I'll be the one who 'loads the gun' if needed from the chiken keepers side ::)
Code: [Select]
You dont want to be treasurer do you? ..not particularly,,but somebody has to do it ::)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 15:04:25 »
ANYBODY ???..please...AGM is tomorrow..I wan't to be ready for a fight!!! :-X

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 19:53:09 »
Rules that do not allow chickens on allotments are irrelevant and can be ignored. The law says you are allowed hens (unless a nuisance is caused to other plot holders).

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 21:23:49 »
Thank you RW ;)..and thank you for a kind PM confirming the same(you know who you are)..
I might let them vote first before I drop the good new ;D ;D :-X
I wish I could 'stream' the meeting in live for you to see ;D ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2011, 21:33:18 »
You couldn't make it up!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2011, 21:33:30 »
Do the allotment acts apply to private sites?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2011, 21:40:11 »
Digeroo..yes it does..that was what I wasn't sure about too..but now that I've seen 'black on white' and having several people confirming the info and with copy of "NSALG" legal advisors email  that says so..roll on..

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 14:40:42 »
PHEWW!...AGM is over and done with for this year... ::)
No matter how I explained the allotment act rule..some folks still refuce to believe it would effect us ::) ..wouldn't even read the print out of the law ::)
But.. ;D ;D... by law there should be nothing to vote about...it did go to it and this time 2/3 of our share holders did agree with right to keep chickens ;D ;D..last year we lost by one vote!
Sooo...new chapter in our site is about start... ;D
One thing though is clear now...I'm not everybody's favourite list anymore...my halo is officially off..and stays so... 8)..I dare to go against the 'main stream'..

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 14:50:11 »
Goodlife, you bad bad girl ;). Well done. Lets hope they soon get over it ::).

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2011, 15:41:13 »
Sometimes you just have to make a stand. You've won, anyway, and they'll have to live with it.

I know what you mean about people refusing to admit that the law applied to them. We had a couple of people at church who refused to admit that the Disability Discrimination Act meant that we needed a proper disabled entrance to the church shop. refused to admit that people tripped over the old entrance - despite the fact that we'd all done it - and claimed it wasn't a safety hazard. When we eventually had the work done, they made all sorts of trouble over the new door, but it all quietened down in the end. You can guess who had to handle all that. They''ll get used to it.

compie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2011, 23:46:12 »
i have already won against my council and it applies to all councils copy of letter from them below

Dear Mr ********
 Allotments Act 1950

I refer to our correspondence/conversations in connection with the above and your request to keep hens on your allotment.

South Holland district Council has previously resisted requests for livestock on allotments due to concerns over there welfare and the impact on adjacent plots/residences. The above legislation however does permit hens to be kept on allotments.

I can confirm that you are therefore at liberty to have hens on your plot as requested all in accordance with Section 12 of the allotments act.

Yours sincerely

Neighbourhood  Services Manager

gruesome

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 18:17:20 »
our village of Probus in Cornwall which is known as the 'Garden Parish' has always been agricultural and agrarian. So when a new estate was built 100 yards from my allotment i thought nothing of it. Until now that is. 50 yards from the allotment gates lies an old cornish cottage lived in for the last 25 years by the same couple, this couple have kept chickens in their orchard for 17 of those years. They now have had an abatement order served on them by Cornwall Council about their noisy Cockerels and have to destroy the poor birds. The complainant who lives on the new estate surely should have noticed the birds when he purchased the house ? why should a 'townie' move in and tell us country folk how to live ? he works away in Manchester for much of the time ? If the appeal doesn't succeed will he be able to have my and the 5 other chcken keepers chickens killed ? I have Cockerels, and need them to breed future years egglayers, I do not know of any artificial insemination for chickens. They only crow during the day and are locked away at night. anyone any ideas ???
Insanity takes it's toll....................please have the correct change.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 18:53:47 »
Shoot the townie?  :-X

pumkinlover

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2011, 19:04:24 »
Sounds like a plot line for "Midsomer Murders" ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2011, 20:07:34 »
our village of Probus in Cornwall which is known as the 'Garden Parish' has always been agricultural and agrarian. So when a new estate was built 100 yards from my allotment i thought nothing of it. Until now that is. 50 yards from the allotment gates lies an old cornish cottage lived in for the last 25 years by the same couple, this couple have kept chickens in their orchard for 17 of those years. They now have had an abatement order served on them by Cornwall Council about their noisy Cockerels and have to destroy the poor birds. The complainant who lives on the new estate surely should have noticed the birds when he purchased the house ? why should a 'townie' move in and tell us country folk how to live ? he works away in Manchester for much of the time ? If the appeal doesn't succeed will he be able to have my and the 5 other chcken keepers chickens killed ? I have Cockerels, and need them to breed future years egglayers, I do not know of any artificial insemination for chickens. They only crow during the day and are locked away at night. anyone any ideas ???

I used to go through Probus regularly. This is disgusting, but it's typical. We had an excellent music pub down the road which had to close after they build yuppie flats a few yards away, and the inmates complained.

gruesome

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 18:00:13 »
hi Robert, as you know Probus is slap bang in the middle of Cornwall- how much more countryfied can you get? i think i'll drop the guy a line with some housing brochures of the Newquay area. The appeal is to be heard on the 15th April think i'll attend and ask the Judge what happens to the allotment chickens if the others are executed???
Insanity takes it's toll....................please have the correct change.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 18:43:18 »
People move to the countryside, but they take their townie attitudes with them unfortunately. Probus is a lot more scenic than Foxhole, so you're more likely to suffer from them. You get people complaining about farmers putting muck on their fields and all sorts of rubbish.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal