Author Topic: Flying greenhouse  (Read 2675 times)

Squash63

• Half Acre
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Flying greenhouse
« on: March 24, 2009, 19:48:15 »
It was very windy here in Birmingham last night.  A plotholder had just bought this Keter greenhouse and had only just finished putting it up.  It 'flew' over at least 10 plots and ended up next to mine. Thank goodness nobody was there when it happened.  Mind you, it's so light and flimsy that it wouldn't have been much of a hazard.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham
www.growit.ik.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Flying greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 19:56:14 »
I had a similar experience in Cornwall. the solution is to get a cordless drill, and screw it firmly down to a base of breeze blocks. It won't go anywhere then!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 20:02:21 »
Oh Dear!
We had a flying metal shed once. It took off and landed on the far side of next door's plot with most of the contents still in it. Never been the same since but since we turned it out of the prevailing wind it hasn't moved again (yet!)  ;D

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 20:06:54 »
Yikes, not a good advert for their product! I hope he managed to get his money back (I'd threaten to post the pics all over the net if they didnt cough up..)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 20:13:08 »
I had the same problem. :(

It ended up on the road that runs alongside the lottie.Luckily a chap in the house next to the lottie rescued it before it caused an accident.

Money down the drain,only a traditional glasshouse for me now.

Squash63

• Half Acre
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 20:24:58 »
Yikes, not a good advert for their product! I hope he managed to get his money back (I'd threaten to post the pics all over the net if they didnt cough up..)

Do you think she would get anywhere by asking for her money back? The thought did cross my mind too.   I don't know how it was anchored down, but even though it was very windy we've had much worse in the past and I've never seen anything like that before.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham
www.growit.ik.com

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 20:44:33 »
Its worth a try - they arent cheap!

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 20:53:42 »
Luckily it stopped where it did, looks like a lot of glass could have been broken if it had hit the greenhouse next to it. Think these lightweight greenhouses are better for a sheltered garden rather than an open allotment.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 23:34:36 »
On our allotments in Glasgow, we often get gales and it is essential to securely anchor greenhouses, greenhouses etc. For mine, I drove steel angles into the ground as far as they would go and screwed the greenhouse to them. It has never moved in 10 years.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 01:03:10 »
I had a kite like that many years ago. Now I have a glass greenhouse thats screwed to blocks cemented into the ground.

There's a good reason why you dont see many 'cheap' greenhouses down on the lottie. :(

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 07:49:54 »
I burried railway sleepers on there edge allthe way round,

and screwed the frame to them.
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 09:20:02 »
I can't remember how my late husband secured my 12' x 8' greenhouse I know it stands on railway sleepers but it has never moved in 10years but..last year when we had really strong winds, I was walking up the garden path and a pane of glass came flying down the path towards me. Last week when the winds were again really strong I never ventured out in the garden,  (Good people are scarce ;D)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 19:11:58 »
We had the same thing happen to ours. A friend phoned us and told us that our GH was making it's way towards the allotment gate. I'd had my spuds in it chitting and had to hunt around for them.. Apparently this is a weakness with them . The way they are attached to the base is very weak. We got our money back because ours leaked on the seams. Two weeks after that it blew away. We now use the panels as cloches.
If you read the next post you will see what happened
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 19:17:24 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 19:16:08 »
Got a phone call this afternoon from a friend telling me that someone from the plot had phoned her to tell her that my greenhose was making its way towards the gate. Got in the van to go up and sort it and guess what??? the bloody van wouldn't start. had to push it off the drive and hope for the best. Got to the plot and said GH was on its side up the corner of the plot all mangled up. It had rolled over by the look of it and all my canes had landed on my broad beans (we will see how bloody hardy they are now eh!) Seed potatoes that I put up there the other day were scattered everywhere. Have just got back and am gonna have me a drink. Managed to save the tatties, They are gonna have to chit in the back of the passion wagon ( gives a new meaning to chitty chitty bang bang) We really don't know what to expect from day to day in this house lately. Yesterday we had a freebie GH and today we don't. I'm not gonna put another one up the plot. I think I will have a second one in the garden. Me and Tony are gonna get well and truly Peed up tonite

« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 16:09:11 by shirlton » 

This was what I posted when it happened. makes me laugh now
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal