Author Topic: This may be a silly question but  (Read 3206 times)

zigzig

• Acre
This may be a silly question but
« on: March 18, 2009, 08:05:35 »
In 2007 I got a load of manure to make a new bed. It was fairly fresh. Covered it with black plastic and left the work to the worms. They thrived.

I read about the aminopyralid problem and was not sure if the stuff was infected or not.

Well, we got a few courgette/marrow plants too many 2008 so I put them on the bed and they flourished. No weeds grew though, not even grass.

This year I was hoping to put spuds in the same, now lovely, looking well dug soil.

Now for the question.

Do you think it is safe to go ahead?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: This may be a silly question but
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:11:29 »
Could you ask the farmer who supplied the manure to you?
Janet

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 09:05:36 »
Or try the bean test first... if the marrow family do well grow some more of them if you get a bad result with beans/pots.  :-\

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 21:10:48 »
No weeds, not even grass? I thought Aminoetc left grass alone - in fact isn't that the point? ???

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 21:20:02 »
No weeds, not even grass? I thought Aminoetc left grass alone - in fact isn't that the point?

Exactly!

None of my cucurbits suffered at all last year so I think they are also immune. That does not mean to say they don't absorb and hold the poison which may or may not be harmful to human peeps.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 21:30:51 »
Zigzag,
You can but try - go for it - good luck!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 21:37:43 »
Zigzig,

If you got no weeds on it, it sounds as though you composted it perfectly, getting the temperature up high enough to kill the seeds.
Curcubits are fairly sensitive to herbicides, but you did OK last year.
Sounds as though the manure is fine, but just to double check, why not take a large pot full, (8'' size pot) and put a well chitted spud into it. bring it into the warm, and if possible put a large clear plastic bage over the top, to hold in any gases.
If the leaves are OK in a couple of weeks then you would appear to be clear!!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 23:27:04 »
We are not talking about herbicides in general but a new and highly selective agent. Grasses can take the full dose with impunity as can certain other plants while others such as tomatos, potatoes, peas and beans are destroyed by the merest residual trace of chemical after it has been absorbed by the grass, passed through a horse and diluted further in the manure.

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 19:54:15 »
My sincere thanks to Pescador and Eristic for sensible responses. I do appreciate what you have told me it has helped my understanding.

Dunno what to make of the other replies. But it is nice to know that I have their thoughts with me. Thanks for caring.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 06:36:26 »
My sincere thanks to Pescador and Eristic for sensible responses. I do appreciate what you have told me it has helped my understanding.

Dunno what to make of the other replies. But it is nice to know that I have their thoughts with me. Thanks for caring.

The other replies? Well, mine was saying that I thought it's supposed to let grass grow, so if grass isn't growing, you have another problem.

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 19:01:51 »

The other replies? Well, mine was saying that I thought it's supposed to let grass grow, so if grass isn't growing, you have another problem.

So, exactly what is your useful, constructive response?

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 19:25:08 »
A proper compost heap does not get grass growing on top of it. It is ideal for growing zucchini/courgette/marrow.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 19:55:36 »
if you have compostedyour heap properly (it sounds as if you have) the heat will kill any grass seeds, so there wouldn't be any growing on your heap!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

amphibian

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 21:17:25 »
To summarise...

1. The absence of weeds/grass does not tell you whether the manure is infected or not, because the heap should be free of weeds/grass because of the heat generated when the manure was breaking down.

2. That curcurbits flourished on the heap does not tell you whether it is infected, because they are unaffected by aminopyralid.

So what is needed now is a tester with some plants that are affected by aminopyralid, such as potatoes, tomatoes or beans.

Personally I'd go for beans or toms, in good heat they are very fast to germinate, and it won't matter if they get leggy.

I would take a few large pots of the manure and sow some beans and tomatoes in each, cover and keep a good eye on them.

I would also ask the farmer.

If the farmer is unaware of any aminopyralid use and the toms and beans flourish, then I would think the manure is probably safe for use.

If the beans and tomatoes show aminopyralid is involved then leave the heap to rot further, once all grass residues have rotted away I understand the aminopyralid will dissipate.

Hope that helps.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 18:57:20 »

So, exactly what is your useful, constructive response?

Sorry, have I upset you over something? I am pointing out that you might have more of a problem than just with Aminopyralid, as on it's own it won't stop grass from germinating. You seem to think this is unhelpful... I can only assume that I've managed to upset you somewhere else, in which case I'm sorry, or that you don't quite understand what I mean. Don't ask for thoughts if you don't want them!

Gbar

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 12:12:13 »
Just come across your request.    Cubits are not very sensitive to aminopyralid but If you dug the manure into the soil during spring/summer 2008 the manure should be well broken down. If this is the case the chemical is released off the manure and breaks down within 4 to 6 days.

If you visit the website Manurematters,com, I know it is produced by Dow, but it does give some good information on the problem and how to test your soil.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal