Author Topic: Support for sweet peas  (Read 3217 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Support for sweet peas
« on: March 16, 2009, 20:23:53 »
I put up some canes and planted my sweet peas  today. Was going to put upsome netting but only have fairly smallmesh-type. Would that be ok as I don't want to buy new stuff. Alternately, if I use wire or string, how far apart would you suggest, and would vertical strings be sufficient?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Support for sweet peas
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 23:29:58 »
Does not look like I will be needing any supports for sweet peas.  This is my first year trying them and I sowed 25 seeds over 4 weeks ago.  Not one has germinated.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 23:51:01 »
I put up some canes and planted my sweet peas  today. Was going to put upsome netting but only have fairly smallmesh-type. Would that be ok as I don't want to buy new stuff. Alternately, if I use wire or string, how far apart would you suggest, and would vertical strings be sufficient?
why are you using netting if you have canes for them to grow up and give support?
rach
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 08:43:12 »
Caroline, because I grow for show in my garden, rather than for showing! and therefore don't need to restrict their growth,  I grow some in two tubs either side of 2  broken wilko's arches which arc over a trough. Between these I put left-over (wilkos again!) fine chicken wire for them to latch on to and in a season they cover it.

Hope this helps.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 08:47:14 »
Did you pre soak them KT? If not have a firkle and see if they have rotted off... if not keep them moist(er) as they can be difficult to get to swell... which they do before germinating proper and if your compost is one of the "drier" types they will struggle to get enough moisture..   :-\

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 14:47:01 »
If I have plenty of plants I put them as close as 6"-8" apart a bit more apart if I don't have many plants.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 17:09:21 »
why are you using netting if you have canes for them to grow up and give support?
rach
x

I haven't got very many plants and the canes are quite widely spaced, so i was hoping netting in between would encourage them to spread horizontally as well as vertically!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 19:41:31 »
Well, as I've written - it works for me 8)

:)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal