Author Topic: help for a land owner  (Read 3885 times)

greenbelt

help for a land owner
« on: March 16, 2009, 21:46:32 »
hello everyone

I hope you don't mind me seeking your words of wisdom. I own a 60 acre farm in green belt land which is surrounded by residential housing , as the big city nearby is growing ever closer!

Over the years the farm ( one of the few left in the area) has been forced to diversify & we now keep horses & grow grass to make hay , rather than traditional farm animals as in the past.  Sadly, many local residents do treat our well kept farm as a "dog's toilet" despite the no dog fouling signs & our attempts to politely advise people that we have to handle the grass & feed it to horses once their pooch has pooped in it!
In addition we have also had several bordering residents attempt adverse possession & move their garden fence to create a garden extension from our field, which is naughty. As well as usual youth crime.

In an effort to keep the farm in the family & profitable I have been thinking about some sort of garden extension / allotment activity which would also provide some of the more pleasant residents much needed ground - we could also supply the manure!

Its just a crazy idea at the moment & I realise alot of work would be needed to get the council onside. However, from reading the forums the rents are considerably lower than , grazing rental for example & whilst I like the idea of being able to provide the land for others use , it would need to create  aprofit to help sustain the upkeep of the wider farm.  Your views please, especially around rents for private ground such as I am suggesting.

Thanks for reading all this !

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: help for a land owner
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 21:59:29 »
Welcome Greenbelt this is what one of our local farmers did.

http://www.tweddlefarm.co.uk/
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 22:07:13 »
Hi Greenbelt....

I think it would all depend on how much you were thinking of charging for the land, what facilities you could provide (running water, vehicle access etc) what the demand for allotments is in your area, and whether the locals would/could pay for it....

Where abouts are you?
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 22:40:03 »
When we had a city wide forum a few years ago the average rent for 300sq yards was £48.... can you make a profit at that? Allowing for paths etc you would get a minimum of £500 per acre (10 plots at £50). Cant see there being any problem with takers and an easy/profitable disposal method for the muck. Setting up and Water would be an issue, but could "give" it as self managing and presumably with a good accountant there would be "charitable status" for a private allotment scheme...
 :-\

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 22:47:41 »
don't forget you will need toilets.  You would have to cost in septic tank or connection to main drainage.  How do you manage those neighbours who try to extend their gardens?  When the orchard across the road from me was sold to developers there was blood, snot and gore from the homeowners who had extended their gardens over the years onto the orchard.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 22:52:53 »
You don't have to connect to the mains sewers or spend a lot of money to provide a toilet.  You can build a basic composting toilet for very little cost or have a chemical one like an Elsan.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 22:53:08 »
don't forget you will need toilets.  You would have to cost in septic tank or connection to main drainage.  How do you manage those neighbours who try to extend their gardens?  When the orchard across the road from me was sold to developers there was blood, snot and gore from the homeowners who had extended their gardens over the years onto the orchard.
I don't think toilets will be needed.  We haven't got them on out site.  Toilets would be an advantage and would presumably push up the rent.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 23:04:48 »
As treasurer "boundary adjustments" are a nightmare... the next householder who builds/rebuilds their boundary wall 4" into our allotments is going to get a stroppy letter telling them to take it down before I take a sledgehammer to it...
 >:(

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 23:08:29 »
Not toilets on my lottie either (if you exclude the 3 car tyres on top of each other with nettles growing all around.)  :-X

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 23:20:48 »
No toilets on our site neither.  Urinate on the plot...  its good for the land.  As for the other; they have 3 options: 
1) dump before going to the plot
2) hold the turtles head until returning home
3) if needs must then there is always the doggy pooper scooper bags
 ;D ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 23:56:53 »
No toilets on our site neither.  Urinate on the plot...  its good for the land.  As for the other; they have 3 options: 
1) dump before going to the plot
2) hold the turtles head until returning home
3) if needs must then there is always the doggy pooper scooper bags
 ;D ;D ;D
hahahaha my thought exactly,however,as a sec who has been asked for a toilet,its now being provided for the ladies (im a lady myself who will prob never use said loo) oops im hijacking this  thread sorry!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 07:42:56 »
Or option 4... the John Wayne walk ....   :-[

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 08:57:50 »
Another good reason to have a shed........privacy! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Busy Bee

• Quarter Acre
  • Bexhill On Sea East Sussex
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 10:09:40 »
Another good reason to have a shed........privacy! ;D

As the only female allotment holder on our site thats why i've had to get a shed. I just don't fancy peeing behind  a compost bin lol.  :)

greenbelt

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 10:17:25 »
The farm is on the outskirts of Manchester, I believe there is big demand & ability to pay from local folks. Im keen to understand what people are prepared to pay I can then assess whether its worth pursuing the idea & looking into what type of services we would provide. I have seen prices range from £50 - £100 but wondered what you all thought.

greenbelt

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 10:28:47 »
Lottie Lou , re your point about neighbours encroaching - you really do have to take a firm stance from the outset.

Most people start by stealth & begin placing items such as old plant pots over their boundary or planting the odd plant or small bush. However, these must be removed right away & the trespassers must be warned not to place anything whatsoever onto your property or it will be removed - most poeple then start to get grumpy & the usual " what harm is it doing, its only a few plants/pots & you have all that land " conversation starts.  I simply answer by asking them to respect my farm property just as I respect their garden & as I would never dream of placing my belongings into their garden & I expect that they treat me likewise.  Take my advice - if you let things like the odd plant / plant pot/ cuttings etc go by as you don't want the embarrassment or hassle of asking them to stop placing them on your property , it will only get worse! At some point in the future , they all then start to move their boundary & then attempt to demand adverse possession & it becomes very stressful & unpleasant . Better to sort it out immediately anything like that starts as once you have made your position clear , most don't attempt ot again - sadly the more flexible & accomodating you become - the more they persist! I never cease to be amazed how cheeky some poeple are & age is no barrier to this type of behaviour.

hope that helps

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 10:45:45 »
Hi Greenbelt!

What you are saying about people taking advantage of farmers reminds me of one of my friends who used to live in Sussex - a family opened one of his gates drove their car in - plonked down the picnic - dogs and kids everywhere!  They also left rubbish!   

Next weekend my friend and his family and a few friends turned up to suburbia where these people lived (in the old days the police would give you the addresses of car owners!) pulled up outside emptied family friends picnic and dog out put picnic on their front garden and started to enjoy their meal!!

You can imagine what was said - but hopefully it hit home when owner was told that that was exactly what they had done except it was not his front garden but a gated field!!

I think that what you are envisaging is a brilliant idea.  I would expect you could - if there is large demand in your area - up to £100 per year per plot.  It would certainly be more of an encouragement to get people who were properly keen and would respect your land more.  When - lets face it - is only £2 per week.

My thoughts are that if you charge peanuts for something - it is not always valued and looked after - than if it had cost a lot more.  Potentially you will have less vandalism and thefts too!

Old Bird

;D 

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 10:48:15 »
hi and welcome to the site, i haven't got a clue what to advise you but others here will certainly giveyou lots to think about. lotty cost and the facilities they provide have come up here a few time since i joined last year and a quick search provided these links that i thought you might find useful:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,46121.0.html

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,44944.0.html

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,799.0.html

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,49719.msg504797.html#new

hope they help and good luck keeping your farm going.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 11:27:12 »
Have you looked into "change of use" planning permission? I have read (RHS journal) of people who extended their garden into their own field and were forced to plough it up and restore the field to its original state, because they had not looked into planning permission.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 11:40:12 »
While I agree on the need for Privacy for Ladies Deb... men are far more able to just "observe" the scenery over a hedge, we have proper toilets here...!!  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal