Author Topic: Do mini greenhouses work?  (Read 3521 times)

Digitalis

• Acre
Do mini greenhouses work?
« on: March 21, 2009, 18:45:35 »
I'm thinking of getting a 4 tier mini greenhouse from Wilkinsons for £14.99.

Do they do exactly the same job as a full size glass one? Can I leave the seed trays and pots out in it all the time? Are the plants protected enough if zip it right up?

Do they topple over? I'm really worried about this.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Do mini greenhouses work?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 19:15:40 »
A lot of people seem to have trouble with them blowing over, which has put me off, but others have found ways of getting them to stay put-hopefully they will be along soon!

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 19:16:16 »

Cosmos and Dibs,  you is gonna have to chill a bit - or you're gonna meet

yourself  coming back !    ;D    

Anything you need to know is on this site  --  somethings germinate best in a warm envirenment,

then you find that sweet peas and leeks need a bit of cool !   It's all trial and error when you

first start  --  Mini green houses are great  , they have housed a lot of fruitfullness for me.

Unzip in full sun and zip at night if threat of frosts,  follow your instincts.  When the seasons

become stable, take the shelves out and use it for your tomatoes, peppers [ if sheltered ],

Just ask your questions if in doubt  ---   you will get your answers here.       ;D

Good gardening,

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 19:19:34 »

You're right caroline, did have one go over last year --  not enough ballast in the base

and not in a sheltered spot ---   lesson learnt,       ;)

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 21:23:24 »
I used one for many years before I got the real thing. If you can, place it up against a sunny wall and put some bricks (or old 2ltr drink bottles filled with water) on the bottom shelf to help prevent it toppling.
The only bad experience I had was I forgot to open it one day before going to work. My onions were sown, germinated and were fried all withing 24 hours!
I'm thinking of buying the Wilko one to put inside my unheated greenhouse to give the young plants some extra protection as we can still get some cold nights.
Go for it, but watch the weather forecasts.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 19:37:21 »
I use one in the corner of my full size GH to sow my seeds in and I use a small paraffin heater in it. This saves heating the whole GH.

You do have to be careful though as they can get very hot in a very short time.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 21:20:26 »
How about buying one of the two tier ones? I'm guessing these would be less likely to topple ove due to their lower height?

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 11:09:10 »
C&D
It depends what you want it for, and how stuff much you have.
I have a 4 tier 1 for when the seedlings have germinated and I want to grow them on a bit more till they are planted. Something that is lower to the ground is less likely to topple. They tend to have little tie things at the top and bottom and you can get some string or twine and tether them up!!
I don't bother with them in winter as they tend to get shredded by the winter storms round here  :o

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 12:45:09 »
I am very pleased with mine, due to limited space it is against the wall in my small garden/yard.  If I had a bigger garden would like a real green house but find it OK for bringing on seeds and protecting any tender plants in pots.  Remember to unzip it on hot days and in the summer keep it permanently unzipped.  The covers are not very strong and do wear out in time, especially if my fat cat sleeps on the top of it.  But as they are relatively cheap think they are ideal, although it would be no good on my allotment as the winds blow across the playing fields and it would certainly get blown away.  One advantage is that you do not have to clean the glass.

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 21:16:46 »
As with polytunnels plastic covers don't retain heat at night the way glass does. I'd suggest a couple of glass coldframes rather than a mini-greenhouse, much easier to ventilate and although more expensive will last for years compared with a minigreenhouse - I've found the zips can soon pack up. The only drawback I can think of is glass might be an issue if there are children about.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 21:24:03 »
I have one that I use for the tenderest stuff inside the 8x6 greenhouse... it doesn't blow away, being inside, and gives an extra few degrees [protection on a cold night...  :)

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 18:08:42 »
Hi Sadad, do you heat the mini greehouse? I have a small heated bed but need space to start the next seeds off so have to move stuff into the mini, which like yours is inside an 8x6.  I am wondering if it will need heating.  Plan to put toms, chilles and begonias in it.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 21:01:02 »
Leave them on the heated bit for the next couple of days, as we have a bad frost predicted, but mine have been in there for a week and are stopping there.
 :)

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 11:39:57 »
to keep it stable pierce a couple of holes through the plastic high up with a hot skewer then thread some string through and tie the frame (not the cover) to a drainpipe

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 18:45:02 »
Should have done that last night as mine blew across the garden and all the seeds fell out of their pots.  Thought it was OK as against house wall but it was very windy. Lesson learnt and have weighted down the base and OH said he would tie it to the wall on hooks, small hole in plastic like you suggested.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal