Author Topic: plastic poles and fittings  (Read 2717 times)

tartonterro

• Acre
plastic poles and fittings
« on: March 13, 2009, 21:25:33 »
looking for some help
ive had one of the grow bag greenhouses in the past and found that the poles supplied dont really stand up to the riggers of scottish weather all that well
what im looking to do is build my own frame from rigid plastic pipe and fittings - ive seen this being used in projects before - but cant seem to find any web sites typical lol
can any one point me in the right direction

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: plastic poles and fittings
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 21:49:18 »
I would be willing to help but i don,t have a clue of what a growbag greenhouse is.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 22:21:08 »
here is a link to ebay listing for what i have

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 22:58:42 »
Are you thinking of plastic conduit?

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 07:15:48 »
yea something like that - just cant seem to find anywhere with the round pipe and fittings

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 10:23:30 »
I know this sounds a bit daft but I managed to get hold of one of those metal gazebo things off a recycler. In it's current state its dimensions are 2.2m cubed. I plan to cut it down and make it smaller so I have a small walk in plastic greenhouse. It comes with metal poles and plastic fittings for the angles. I don't think they are expensive to buy as the tag on the box said £13.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 19:25:58 »
plumbers merchants!
You couldn't make it up!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 19:54:29 »
Having had a look at a picture of one you dont have a great deal of options, even if you used plastic tubing wont you have to secure it to a wall.
My method would be to make a frame from Dexion shelving legs and put the GH over the top of it.

DAVY

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 09:48:07 »
Having had a look at a picture of one you dont have a great deal of options, even if you used plastic tubing wont you have to secure it to a wall.
My method would be to make a frame from Dexion shelving legs and put the GH over the top of it.

never thought of using that - would just have to give it a good coat of paint to stop it rusting - cheers davy

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 20:01:54 »
I've got a Wilko mini greenhouse and the metal poles look like they would stand up to anything. The fittings are not so good though. Read a tip somewhere to fill the fittings with 'no more nails' before putting it together so it can't pop apart. I've tied mine to the shed as it got blown over on the first night!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 21:50:14 »
Having had a look at a picture of one you dint have a great deal of options, even if you used plastic tubing wont you have to secure it to a wall.

never thought of using that - would just have to give it a good coat of paint to stop it rusting - cheers davy

If you can get the dexion legs then another suggestion to go with them would be to some thing between the metal and the material IE insulation foam, not only will it stop any abrasion ware but also make it tighter.

DAVY

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal