Author Topic: Here are our new chooks  (Read 2566 times)

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
Here are our new chooks
« on: March 14, 2009, 17:11:26 »
Went and picked up our ex bats today, very sad to see so many chickens in such a sad state  :'(
We picked up our 10 girls and got them home as quick as we could, one little girl is very quite and tired but has managed a few drinks and some food so fingers crossed for her.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Here are our new chooks
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 17:25:29 »
ah, I'm so glad you've rescued them, they'll soon pick up..unfortunately, we lost one of ours soon after we got them but the others are still going strong...good time to get them...hope you have lots of hours of fun  ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 17:29:19 »
I would love to keep chickens but its no go either on the allotment or at home. My neighbours wouldn't be too pleased if i had chooks in the back garden.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 18:28:09 »
What a lovely home for the girls.  Well done you.

They look like they are having a bit of a moult.  My girl's enclosure looks like they have a pillow fight  ::)

I am sure that in a few weeks their pecking order will be sorted and their combs will be upright and red.  We had ours a year ago and they were timid and had the same floppy pink combs. 

We have 15 ex-bats,  although they are all ISA's and look the same, after time you can tell the difference.  They get so much attention and 'scraps' they are really tame.  Our children love them as much as the domestic pets.

I may be wrong but when we got our hens (first timers) I was told not to put hay in their bedding as it can get stuck in their throats.  We have always used sawdust and straw as a precaution.  I am sure that someone here will clarify this.

Anyway congrats and enjoy

Cocopops

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 18:31:07 »
ah its sad that they have had such terrible lives up to now , but things have changed they will live out their lives with folks who care , wish I could have some but like Shirl , can't . please post pics when they have settled in with you  :D

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 21:16:16 »
Good luck with your new charges, Flowers, they look a happy bunch now. When we first got ours, OH noticed that they would sit for ages with their wings outstretched, something they wouldn't have been able to do in their tiny cages.

PHILMT

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 21:20:16 »
We are getting 15 ex bats on the 29th. We are preparing a shed for them at the moment.  It's exciting

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 21:30:43 »
You will get eggs soon enough I bet.  Post more pictures in 2-3 months so we can see their transformation
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 23:41:35 »
 Bless there hearts , wish i could have some but it is not possible.
How nice to rescue them so pleased when i hear this. ;D ;D

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 10:07:37 »
The sad fact is that they are allowed to keep birds in battery cages that are allowed to get in that state in the first place. >:( I hope they do well for you . 
Cheers .. Jim

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 10:35:36 »
I agree Growmore and these are the better ones!  The best thing to be said though in the farmers' defence is that these chickens are very trusting of humans as they have not been hurt or frightened by them.

Flowersofshona aren't you lucky!  They look lovely and they will look 10 times better in a month or two!

Old Bird ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal