Author Topic: pc repairs  (Read 3163 times)

devil4975

• Not So New ...
pc repairs
« on: February 17, 2009, 21:17:46 »
hi i build and i also repair pcs and laptops here to help

ian preston
nelson, lancashire

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
Re: pc repairs
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 09:42:28 »
OK, I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop. Couple of years old but I only got about 10 months use out of it before it ceased to exist.

I switch it on but nothing happens, the various keyboard lights and power light come on but nothing at all on screen.

I realize that's a bit like asking how long a bit of string is but there is also a small chance you might have seen it before and know straight off the bat.

I know I could have had it repaired, still could I suppose but I went straight out and bought an Apple Mac and I've never looked back since.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 11:51:54 »
hi i build and i also repair pcs and laptops here to help

ian preston
nelson, lancashire

Me thinks your services will prove useful, Ian.
Ian Preston from Nelson eh? That's about as Lancashire as you can get, eh? I used to take my mother shopping in Nelson every Saturday from Colne.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 21:38:19 »
Welcome to the site Ian :)

Tony
Does it work if you plug an external monitor in? if so your screen might need replacing or the screen cable could of come loose.

Neil

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 21:51:16 »
Welcome to the site Ian :)

Tony
Does it work if you plug an external monitor in? if so your screen might need replacing or the screen cable could of come loose.

Neil

You know, I really never thought to try that! It went bust one day, I went out and bought a Mac the same day. I've had all the little trap doors off, looked at what's under them and put them back on again.

I've got a flat screen monitor here... Now if only I could remember what cupboard, shed or garage the laptop is in I could try it.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks Neil.

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 22:41:09 »

I'll keep you posted. Thanks Neil.

No, no go. All the power lights come on but no screen and not a single peep or whir from the HD or any fans. Worth a try I suppose.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 09:04:24 »
If you know anyone with the same battery try their's in yours, if that works then it's probably the AC port(very common problem on laptops), as long as no damage has been done to the motherboard then it's not a great deal to change it.

Also try taking the battery out when you plug it in.

If all else fails, check your house insurance ;)

Neil

jethro87

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 23:31:25 »
Hi, if it's a sat pro 6100 then they have an issue with the video card marching out of it's connector on the systemboard. take the keyboard out and reseat it (providing it wasn't powered on at the time :( )
If there's no oil under it, there's no oil in it.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 08:01:23 »
All the power lights come on but no screen and not a single peep or whir from the HD or any fans

Sounds like the motherboard is faulty.

Is there a prize for the correct guess?!

devil4975

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 10:08:11 »
if its not the battery its eather to do with the graphics  on the board ,most board have a chip near the cpu and on laptops the coller comes off and burns out of just burns out im finding it on all p4 at the moment so i battrey dont work when u try a diffrent on ,it will be mother board
cos i got and old tosiba here with same thing

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 16:52:49 »
It's OK, I solved the problem completely... I've just been out and bought myself a new Mac Book Pro.  ;D
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 17:20:51 »
plot69 im thinking of getting a mac book pro, i have a dell xps m1710 fantastic laptop but its very heavy for lugging around :-[ its only 1 month old and  4 yrs warranty with it. but i have been looking at the pro and its specs seem very good but does it come with windows or mac os,my dell has a blu-ray writer where the mac dosnt but the 17"base model mac is the same price as i paid for my dell. your views would be much appreciated.

you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 18:11:22 »
My pc has just gone to the shop this evening. I'm having to use Tony's laptop and I don't like the small screen cos I have a 22 inch screen. I was looking at my mail and then the lottie site. Went to do something else and when I got back to it it was froze. I thought it was the batteries in the mouse so changed them but still nothing. Tone tried process of elimination but still no go. Sent it to the profs and they couldn't get it to boot up.....So glad we had this laptop. Would get really bad withdrawal symptoms otherwise
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 18:17:14 »
plot69 im thinking of getting a mac book pro, i have a dell xps m1710 fantastic laptop but its very heavy for lugging around :-[ its only 1 month old and  4 yrs warranty with it. but i have been looking at the pro and its specs seem very good but does it come with windows or mac os,my dell has a blu-ray writer where the mac dosnt but the 17"base model mac is the same price as i paid for my dell. your views would be much appreciated.

There's no real point asking me, I'm 100% bias. I've had a 20" Apple Mac G5 for about 5 years, my wife has had her Apple Mac laptop for about 4 years. Both of them are still running 100% perfectly. They've never crashed, moaned or complained bout anything. They've never asked me for missing drivers or missing dll files and I've never missed or had to revert back to a Windows machine for anything.

So my view would be that the 17" Mac Book Pro is an absolutely phenomenal computer, the best money can buy... But I'd say that even if I'd never ever seen one before let alone having bought one. Mine's only the 15" by the way.

In all sincerity, my experience with Apple Macs has been nothing but 100% delight, joy, pride and ultimate smugness and a feeling of total superiority. This is of course all my own personal opinions and I have nothing against PC's at all. For me it's the difference between going somewhere in a chauffeur driven Rolls Royce or waiting at a bus stop for an hour.

The Mac Book comes with OS X, not windows. Because Macs are now Intel based there are a few ways you can run Windows alongside OS X, Bootcamp or Parallels Desktop. Neither of which I've tried yet. Some require a dual boot system other allow Windows to run in a window without having to reboot every time you need to switch.

I've got HD TV and a Blue Ray player so I must admit a BR recorder would come in handy but then I'm not heavily into home movies.

The main thing to consider is, if your used to Windows, it a whole new learning curve you'll be starting on. That said, it's not hard to find your way around.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 16:54:23 »
Got the news yesterday My pc's graphics card is clapped and  today they found out my motherboard is as well. another £100 to fork out. Only had the pc 3 yearsand the graphics card for a year. apparently from what I can make out, The mother board is resposible for the graphics card going.
                             I want em saying

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 20:12:34 »
Crikey Shirl that's rough considering your pc isn't very old. I am so lucky son John built my system and when anything has gone wrong he comes and sorts it. I always ask how much the parts cost and he always says "I had a spare at home" I have a feeling the little (huh all 6ft of him) blighter tells me fibs!!. Hope you have a long time free of problems.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 08:30:55 »
Thank goodness ower Tone has a laptop.
                             I want em saying

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal