Author Topic: Young strawberry plants  (Read 1750 times)

Digitalis

• Acre
Young strawberry plants
« on: March 14, 2009, 15:45:02 »
I've put two very young strawberry plants in a long container under my kitchen window (outside). They don't look in the best of health, and I'm concerned that they may not survive.

I've covered them at night with an upturned bottle of pop, and am about to cover them with fleece instead.

They have been in the container for 10 days, but nothing seems to have happened. I've kept up the watering.

Should I be worried?

Also, on a side note, can you grow strawberry plants from cuttings, or is it only the runners that will develop?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Young strawberry plants
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 16:03:45 »
I think one of your problems might be here;

I've kept up the watering.

They don't need a lot of water, particularly if they are not growing to use it up.

Note;  growth generally goes with temperature e.g.

Warmth = good growth

Cold = minimal growth.

My suggestion is feel the weight of the container now, then periodically test the weight again. If the container is considerably lighter then water if not don't water. 

If you think the compost is too wet move the plants into compost that is the damp side of dry, although you might be too late if they are saturated.

Forget the fleece and the bottle they are perfectly hardy and just leave it to the elements to fetch them along.

Lastly just be patient, more plants are lost by human interferance than are by the weather.

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 17:36:01 »
Thanks, TeeGee.

I've not been soaking them. I've been using one of spray bottles.

I've just popped out and took a snap, but it's not very clear:

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 19:46:41 »
I potted up runners from last year, and they are doing really well.

I dont know about taking cuttings, sorry.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 10:23:30 »
They look a bit anaemic to me as if they have been in the dark for a while.

I would leave off the watering for the time being and give them maximum light.

This should get the root system going and get a bit of colour into the leaves.

Forget the bottle & fleece as well. unless, it is forecast for temperatures to get below 40°F (4°C) then you can put them on & off as necessary.

You say you bought two plants but there seems to be three. Plus they look a bit close together.

If there is three place one at either end of the container and these will spread over the side and give more space to the one in the middle.

That about all I can offer for now other than to say I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 19:24:13 »
Hi TeeGee,

There are only two actual plants- the middle one is a stem that broke loose in transit. I'm hoping it will root?

The stem on the far right looks terrible close up; all brown and thin. Should I cut the dead stems off on strawberry plants?

I think the others are settling in as there are some very, very small seedlings popping their heads up over the soil! Is this to be expected?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 14:33:26 »
all brown and thin. Should I cut the dead stems off on strawberry plants?

Yes! it is probably the remains of last years growth, to leave it might encourage disease.

I think the others are settling in as there are some very, very small seedlings popping their heads up over the soil! Is this to be expected?

Yes! I would expect that but as I said before be careful with the watering at this stage.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal