Author Topic: Big scale weedkiller  (Read 9468 times)

Buster54

• Acre
Re: Big scale weedkiller
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 09:19:32 »
Proliance Quatro very similar to Roundup £5 a litre  :-*
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 09:23:16 by Buster54 »
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 09:25:08 »
Marcus, please do not come on here criticising our Emma, she is a very respected member of this forum.
I have read the posts and see that EJ is reluctant to use the chemicals and does not normally.  There are good reasons here why she feels that she has to.  But, just because she is a long standing and respected member of the forum, does not make her immune from criticism - just like it does not make me or you immune from criticism.  That makes the forum unwelcoming to newcomers.  However, on this occasion, the criticism is unjustified.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2009, 09:30:54 »
Hi EJ. I wouldn't use Sodium Chlorate if there's kids or pets about it's very toxic. I would wait a week or 2 yet to make sure the nettles have started growing well for it to be really affective. Then spray em with glyphosphate. 
Cheers .. Jim

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2009, 09:32:53 »
V. valid point from Growmore 8), sorry, forgot that warning.. :-[

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2009, 10:17:14 »
 have read the posts and see that EJ is reluctant to use the chemicals and does not normally.  There are good reasons here why she feels that she has to.  But, just because she is a long standing and respected member of the forum, does not make her immune from criticism - just like it does not make me or you immune from criticism.  That makes the forum unwelcoming to newcomers.  However, on this occasion, the criticism is unjustified.

I do not want to detract from this thread too much as I am finding quite interesting.However I wish people would not say such and such is a well respected member as no one can speak on my behalf and who I respect and who I do not respect is up to me.
Please speak for yourself ,not make out we all feel the same about a particular person.Nothing intended towards you Emma ,just speaking in general.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2009, 10:34:40 »
Whats all this to do with weedkillers?  ::)
Cheers .. Jim

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2009, 10:42:22 »
Just responding to earlier posts. :)

Oh and another point,someone being a long standing member means nothing to me.

People can be a long standing pratt,just as they can be a long standing Angel :)

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 10:53:47 »
makes me chuckle when someone just comes on here to ask a simple question, as i have b4 and they get moaned at, shouted at and wotever else. everyone is EQUAL on here but if you can't answer the question then why bother replying.  ;)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 11:06:23 »
When information is asked for I do dislike answers which criticise and don't answer the  question.
Ace I hope you can reassure me my patch of ground on which I put roundup last Sept. is O.K. to plant with potatoes next month.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 11:13:44 »
I am very much against using chemicals as we can do untold damage to our land .

I answered the question by suggesting an alternative way this could be dealt with by someone who apparently has not got much cash to play with.

:)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2009, 11:17:19 »
Roundup and all other glyphosate containing herbicides are on the list of substances that the EU has voted to phase out because it is considered to be an endocrine disrupter.  Other commonly used products also on the list are bifenthrin, mancozeb, thiacloprid, glufosinate and metaldehyde.  The new law comes into force later this year.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2009, 12:03:25 »
And think of the fresh eggs ...  :) :) :)

Edit by asbean:

SORRY - I have no idea how this reply got onto the wrong thread - please ignore it  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 12:39:27 by asbean »
The Tuscan Beaneater

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2009, 12:17:35 »
anyone spraying another persons land MUST have a PA1, and a PA6 certificate, the penalties for spraying without the relevant certificaTES are horrendous!!!
(even if you doing it for a mate)
You couldn't make it up!

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2009, 15:55:42 »
anyone spraying another persons land MUST have a PA1, and a PA6 certificate, the penalties for spraying without the relevant certificaTES are horrendous!!!
(even if you doing it for a mate)

Tony can i spray at mums? 

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2009, 17:21:41 »
Thanks for the PM's chaps - your advice is always welcome and taken.

Rosebud, thank you.

I asked a simple question which was answered in the first few replies.  I have taken onboard what a couple of you said about having the correct certificates/licences, and as I don't, because I don't spray, as I made clear, I will be speaking to the client and will provide her with the name and where she can get it from - probably B&Q or Wilko's, and let her do it herself.  I will mention the chooks, but she is a full time working mum so I don't know if she would have the time necessary to care for them, she doesn't have the time to care for her garden, hence me. 

Lish, I had already suggested a 'semi-permanent' path, especially as I can get my mitts on free chippings from a tree surgeon chum.  I will definately push that idea, and as I am going to visit her garden regularly, I can keep the re-emerging nettles under control inbetween weedkiller blasts.

Marcusexeter - get over yourself.  Rather sharp.....  ;D  I wasn't being 'rather sharp', I just get genuingly fed up with people leaping to the defence, not reading the posts through properly, being holier than thou.  Yes, I am a long standing member, big deal, yes, I am open to criticism, but I didn't ask for a discussion, I asked for advice, which Ace, Melbourne 12, Simon 404, Betula, Hyacinth, Growmore, Ceres and Tonybloke gave me, for which I thank you.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 17:27:17 by EJ - Emma Jane »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2009, 17:24:51 »
holly-er
does that make you a "prickly customer" EJ  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2009, 17:26:40 »
it does saddad, very prickly at the moment.  ;)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2009, 17:28:20 »
 ;D  ;D  ;D

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2009, 17:36:54 »
Roundup and all other glyphosate containing herbicides are on the list of substances that the EU has voted to phase out because it is considered to be an endocrine disrupter.  Other commonly used products also on the list are bifenthrin, mancozeb, thiacloprid, glufosinate and metaldehyde.  The new law comes into force later this year.

I thought that any restriction only applied to so-called amenity spraying, and that glyphosate would remain approved for use on and around crops.  It still seems to be listed in Annex 1 of Directive 91/414/EEC.  All I can find is withdrawal from the simplified extension scheme, which comes into force in June.  Do you have a link for the withdrawal of permission?

Edit: It looks as though sodium chlorate is on the way out though.  I must stock up  ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 17:43:13 by Melbourne12 »

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2009, 18:54:08 »
Cograts Emma..you've come up with a good and workable solution for your new client 8)

You've also covered the topic I came back to mention - where to buy all the doings she'll need. I don't know about B&Q, but Wilko's do a really good reliable pressure sprayer - their own brand and half the price of Hozelock f'rinstance. And she can get everything else she needs there too...best to give her a list?

All the best,

Lishka

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal