Author Topic: Is it just me?  (Read 3109 times)

springbok

• Hectare
Is it just me?
« on: March 11, 2009, 10:13:01 »
Been actively reading the posts again this year, but I haven't started off any Veg or flowers yet.

Only thing I have done is place my potato's in the greenhouse to chit :)

Last year I found I was doing everything far toooo early and decided to wait this year.

But is it just me :) :)  Anyone else out there that hasn't put any seeds in anywhere yet???

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 10:14:44 »
I've already started sowing, but checking in my diaries it is about 10 days later than normal.  But I'm sowing indoors, and under cover.
The Tuscan Beaneater

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 10:21:12 »
Nothing in the ground at all yet - no point in our cold wet clay.  Things will catch up when the soil warms up.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:22:14 »
Apart from Onion and leek seeds (growing in pots in the shed) I have only planted onion sets and shallots so far this year.  Garlic was planted in October and looks good.

The ground is still too cold to plant out, but saying that I will be putting broad beans out over the next week (seeds that is not plants).

like you my potatoes are chitting.  I have bought earlies this year so that I can miss the blight that took a lot of my potatoes last year.

More hoeing and raking for me then :o)))

Bill

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:28:32 »
Although I've only been growing at the lottie 2 seasons, my list of when I sowed stuff has been useful in staggering my sowing plan. Last year we had snow at Easter! I too am being a bit more cautious this year, will probably get caught out by a hot April now!! I wish..... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 11:37:14 »
no i havent either spuds are chitting and sweet potatoes are growing slips but only really thinking about starting seeds off today

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 15:15:18 »
the only thing i have is my spuds chitting , but thinking about seeds now  :)

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 15:50:27 »
this time last year i had my broad beans in, this year i havnt even prepaired my plots yet. will get there soon.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 15:59:59 »
got my spuds chitting,and shallots garlic onions in,besides that have started a few things on window sills,but thats it,cant remember when we started last year!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 16:04:47 »
I have garlic, onions and some shallots in since autumn. The Broad beans sown in autumn except for two didn't come up this year so I have some sown at home in toilet rolls and also leeks sown and that's it so far...except for potatoes chitting but my heavy clay soil is too wet to dig.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 16:05:40 »
I have some onion seedlings app 2" tall. apart from them only the spuds are chitting
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 17:09:01 »
Have chitted some spuds (on a greenhouse shelf) and sown some broad beans and peas in pots inside. Nothing is going out yet as I don't trust the weather!
The ground is cold and wet and it could quickly turn back to frost, etc.

Started off chilli peppers, aubergines, tomatoes, tomatillos, cardoons and globe artichokes, etc but all in a heated propagator.

I do have some seedlings of basil, coriander, parlsey and dill but they are going to be an indoor crop.

The garden looks pretty bare though - just some brave but battered leeks and celeriac left. I got about 100 plants (cabbages, caulis, psb, etc)  from a certain online veg plant company in september but they were too small when they arrived (late) and every one has died or produced nothing. Won't be using them again >:(
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 18:01:19 »
. I got about 100 plants (cabbages, caulis, psb, etc)  from a certain online veg plant company in september but they were too small when they arrived (late) and every one has died or produced nothing. Won't be using them again >:(
sounds like ours but we only got 60, lots dead, definitely not in a good state when we got them (late)  :(

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 19:04:34 »
I Love, Love, Love you Kea for this thread! ;D

Because of indoors not having windowsills + no-one to look after stuff while I'm away for a while + also an unheated g/house,  there's NO chance I can sow anything ATORL til the middle of the last week of this month....imagine my depression seein orl these pics here of Stuff Sown & Growing.... :'(

So! I've NOT sown chillies, toms, cucs...I've NOT sown in the ground all the usual stuff you do..I've NOT sown my 'companion' stuff I start off in seed trays, etc.......in fact.....I've NOT sown b. all :-[ (but it will all happen, God willing, in April+?)

That there are tatties chitting is left more to nature than to any pro-active work on my behalf....Autumn planted stuff.....garlic, red onions?..well, that was Autumn, but we're talking NOW, eh? :-[

So the answer is....

ZILCH!!

And oh! how lovely to know that I'm Not Alone 8) ;D ;D ;D

(PS Dan....can this be made a Sticky???? ;D ;D ;D)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 16:59:54 »
Sorry Hyacinth I can't lay claim to having started this thread ...it was Springbokgirlie...so thank you to her for starting this thread!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 11:11:34 »
I've not done much either.  Sown some leeks and put some garlic in.  Will be sowing a certain person's late or early Chrimbo gift of FIVE packets of sweetpeas later today...coz I forgot to do it yesterday.

Thankyou Hyacinth Bucket  ;)  :-*

Found it hard to get motivated and now the sun is shining I just want to sit and watch the birdies lol.

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 16:11:28 »
So pleased to find that others have not sown anything outside yet. We have only had our plot since January and have had to dig it over, weed it and spread the well rotted horse manure. We have spent about 2 hours today, drawing a plan of the plot and trying to decide where everything is going. ???. Eventually we settled on a plan and have put the chicken pellets in. We hope to plant shallots and onion sets in there sometime in the next couple of weeks. Potatoes are all chitting and Early onward peas are in pots in cold greenhouse, that's about it. When should we look to plant our early potatoes.? We are in south Essex so climate warmer than the north. Would the end of the month be about right?  :-\ :-\ :-\

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 16:20:02 »
My mother, a long time gardener (and daughter of a long term gardener) gave me a right talking to last night for having sown things already. :'(  :)

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 17:18:09 »
onions, garlic and broad beans planted last autumn. nothing sown yet this year, just spuds chitting on top of the wardrobe. loads of peeps on our site have already got theirs in the ground but I think it's still a little bit early for that. I keep thinking about sowing stuff but that's as far as it's got. glad I'm in good company!

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 18:03:11 »
Jeanbean,
Anytime from now - where you are.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal