Author Topic: Planning on sowing today  (Read 1728 times)

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
Planning on sowing today
« on: March 09, 2009, 11:45:55 »
Hi all,

I have a list of seeds that can be planted in march.

Cali carrots lettuce spring onions and peas. Just wondered if you think i should cover them in a poly? I have a few small ones plus have been keeping bottles for cloches.

Thanks lucy

P.s might be a silly question but do you leave the lids on for bottle cloches? If not could do with useing them to go on top of my canes?

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
Re: Planning on sowing today
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 12:24:58 »
The lettuce, spring onions and peas should be fine here in Cornwall, unless snow  returns then cover with fleece . I have to put chicken wire round my beds to keep the bunnies off though .and carrots need a knee high barrier of some sort to keep off the carrot flies or fleece over completely . Debs  :)
Trespassers will be composted !

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 13:29:21 »
Planning to get beetroot and carrots sown this week or next - does this sound right?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 13:43:22 »
Leave the lids off the bottle cloches Mummybunny or they "steam up" on the inside..  :)

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 15:19:23 »
Thanks Guys

All planted now really enjoyed the nice weather. Glad to finally get out there and have a tidy up.

That's the only downside to my patch being in the garden you can see it constantly and it plays on your mind if its a mess. Even worse when you have the time but the weather is bad  :P

Took some pics will post them in the gallery today sometime so you can all have a nosey and point out the errors i have made LOL  ::)

Now time for a coffee  ;)

Lucy

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 19:00:54 »
Leave the lids off the bottle cloches Mummybunny or they "steam up" on the inside.

Funny how we see things differently. I leave the lids on so they steam up. My theory is that the water content then more or less remains in a closed loop, (closed bottle really) and the plants do not dry out. Doubt that it matters much.

Planning to get beetroot and carrots sown this week or next - does this sound right

Outside sowing of beet is best left till next month but they can be sown under cover now and transplanted with ease.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 19:14:55 »
I take the tops off but this is mainly because I use a cane to keep them in place - cane next to plant, bottle slid down cane over plant.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 02:23:40 »
lid on till they strart growing then take the lid of to climatize   :-\
HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 09:41:37 »
I'm a lid-off and stake through the top man.  I accept I'd like 'proper' cloches though...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal