Author Topic: How can I sort out my compost bins?  (Read 980 times)

Digitalis

• Acre
How can I sort out my compost bins?
« on: March 19, 2009, 16:20:49 »
I have inherited 3 compost bins on my plot. One is in fairly good order, and just needs a dig over as it's compacted. The second one is just empty of soil- it is full of chicken wire, wood etc.

The 3rd one is where my problem lies.

Here it is:

Under the straw and odd bits of rubbish is the rotting weeds and teabags (and other kitchen waste). It looks disgusting, but there is no smell. The thought of clearing it out makes me feel ill. What should I be doing with it? Do I need to dig it over? Or do I just cover it and leave it to rot down over the months? Should I add water?

Or should I just scrap it?

Any tips would be great, as I'm really excited about my plot, but this is the only thing I'm dreading.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: How can I sort out my compost bins?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 16:39:59 »
Cover it and leave to rot  :)

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 16:59:56 »
Thanks, saddad.  ;D

Do I need to get the litter/timber out of it?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 17:03:19 »
Timber yes, litter plastics eg old broken pots and bags yes but paper/card/teabags no...  :)

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 19:41:52 »
Hi C&D,

looking at the shredded paper in the compost bin some of it has not been there long so it will take quite a while to rot down but that is no problem if you have 2 others.

I always put tea bags in mine, they rot down fine, occasionally the bag is still there but considering how many I use they mostly go.

Seeing how well your plot had been used I am sure your compost will be fine and have the right stuff in it.  The fact that the brassicas were still there helps with your rotation plans too as you can identify where they have been this year.  I saw your other post showing your digging too, well done, it has been a god day for it. :)

Have fun,

T.

Ps If your bins are next to each other and it is possible to empty the full one that needs a stir into the empty one that will speed up anything that has not quite rotted down. ;)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 19:44:00 by Tulipa »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal