Author Topic: Seal  (Read 4000 times)

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
Seal
« on: March 26, 2009, 11:07:53 »
I've seen sea-lions in California, but this was the first time I've seen seals in the UK. There were four of them swimming in the sea, occasionally coming onto the sandbanks for a quick sunbathe. This was at Holkham bay, in Norfolk.

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
Re: Seal
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 12:11:29 »
I got the shock of my life a few years ago. I made my way down to Cloughton Wyke, just north of Scarborough, in order to meditate or something like that. Anyway, I was entirely in my own thoughts, when I almost bumped into a huge bull seal sunning himself.

And I mean huge!

You can occasionally see seals from the cliff tops around Scarborough. They sort of wallow about on the surface, then go down for a minute or two, popping up again maybe 50 metres away from where they dived.

Oh, and nearly forgot. There are plenty of seals in Troon harbour!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 12:16:48 by Bjerreby »

nippie

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 19:38:08 »
There are a pair that reside in a cove near us and can often be seen with just their heads above the water.
My dog gets so cross, she won't go in the water (scaredy cat!) she stands on the beach barking and they take absolutely no notice of her at all.
Friendship isn't a big thing.
Its a million little things.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 22:19:50 »
That looks like a Common Seal. I used to see greys off the cliffs in Cornwall now and then.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 22:54:40 »
That looks like a Common Seal. I used to see greys off the cliffs in Cornwall now and then.

And we all love a know it all don't we?   :-\

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 23:20:22 »
Loads of seals over winter at Donna Nook on the Lincs coast and always seals at Blakeney in Norfolk and up at the Farne Isles.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 23:21:18 »

And we all love a know it all don't we?   :-\

G x
Is that a bit uncalled for? :-\
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 10:35:44 »
Loads of seals over winter at Donna Nook on the Lincs coast and always seals at Blakeney in Norfolk and up at the Farne Isles.

This was just a few miles down the coast from Blakeney - might go there as well next time we fancy a day at the beach.

Read up a bit on seals this morning (Robert - I hadn't realised there was more than one species in Britain). It seems like Paddy Tipping, MP for Sherwood, is proposing in parliament this month to make it illegal to kill seals in the UK. Apparently the salmon industry in Scotland kills thousands of them a year to protect their fish farms.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 10:59:40 »
next time you at Holkham, have a trip round the estate opposite the beach, open to public 364 days a year. the house is spectacular on the inside as well! worth a guided tour!  ;)
http://www.holkham.co.uk/
You couldn't make it up!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 11:58:03 »
Have put that one on the to do list Tony ;D

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 15:07:49 »
Thanks for the info, Certatonia.  My parents live on the Norfolk coast (or therabouts lol) so next time we visit I'm definitely going to have a little look for some seals  ;D  The only time I've seen them before - from a distance - is on a boat trip off the coast of Wales a few years back (also saw a dolphin!)

Agree with RC re the unwarranted comment toward Robert as I always find his posts very informative  :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 15:12:12 »
you get a lot of seals at Horsey gap, and at Waxham, too!! ;) (you are getting near to my stomping ground, you know!) ;)
You couldn't make it up!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 15:29:57 »
 We went from GY, via a boat trip to see the seals on a small sandbank & yes they were the same as Robert described a common seal, they were just posing for as all to see amazing site so many of them.  The skipper told us they play cricket  on the sand bank in the summer  (no not the seals Hahahaha), & sometimes get very close to being cut off.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 15:51:04 »
.  The skipper told us they play cricket  on the sand bank in the summer  (no not the seals Hahahaha), & sometimes get very close to being cut off.

Oh! I've read about that! 8) Mad Dogs and Englishmen type thing, eh? So that happens near you? - didn't realize. Spec they have fishpaste sanches at half time ;D

Thanks for identification Robert.....the identifying word "Common" distinguishes it from all the other sorts of seal seen off the shores of the UK & is Offishul-Like (I think).....that's how I took it, anyway :-\

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 17:13:38 »
Quite official. We have two, the Common Seal and the Grey Seal. I'm more familiar with Greys.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 17:30:35 »
I'm more familiar with Greys.

Err......you want to rephrase that Robert?

:o ;D ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 18:04:22 »
Grey Seals. You find them on the west coast, while the smaller Common is more of a North Sea species.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 20:49:48 »
Robert

I was rude in my earlier post and I am sorry.  I hope that you will accept my apology.

Georgie
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 10:41:08 »
Forget it.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 14:05:33 »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal