Author Topic: TOMATO PROGRESS 2009  (Read 36982 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: TOMATO PROGRESS 2009
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2009, 12:16:53 »
Try Chickens??

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2009, 13:31:19 »
Process the glut for use in the winter, it will be here soon enough...
Thanks Tony... they arrived today...  :)
Just been picking over the greenhouse... have about 3kg...  :-X

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2009, 15:06:30 »
I picked two blue box fulls this morning wieghed and baged them, sold 13lb in 10 minutes.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2009, 17:40:08 »
IO gre Black Krim this year and I'm well impressed with it. It's another one of these dark eastern-european beefsteaks adn you have to be on your toes about its ripeness as the fruits start out pale green, then go dark-green with brownish-purple coming through, and that's when they're ripe.... if you let them go dark red then they're over-ripe..... They look dreadful, flesh is brownish-green-purple (has to be seen to be appreciated really) but they taste pretty good and they taste ridiculously good baked or grilled. What really blew me away though is how early they are. I sowed four types of tomatos together back in March, the Krim, Gardeners delight, Alicante and San Marzano. THe GD managed about five fruits between them before the Krim started to ripen, we've been cropping both for a couple of weeks now and the first Alicante are just starting to ripen..... THis is in an unheated greenhouse in 14" pots, proably a bit crowded and limited to four trusses per plant. Dripper watering.

Some of the Krims are big sods adn one of those is just ripening now (I noticed this morning). I will try to get a photo over the weekend.

They do have all the beefsteak bad growth habits though, they fork, they gtrow blind into a leaf, they grow blind into a truss and they throuw some truly ugly kingfruit, but they taste good and they are the eearliest I've ever grown any beefsteak. I'll definitely have them in the GH again....

chrisc

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #184 on: August 07, 2009, 17:14:28 »
They do have all the beefsteak bad growth habits though, they fork, they gtrow blind into a leaf, they grow blind into a truss and they throuw some truly ugly kingfruit, but they taste good and they are the eearliest I've ever grown any beefsteak. I'll definitely have them in the GH again....

chrisc

;D ;D-Welcome to the world of growing the more `unusual` types of tomatoes.

If you didn`t know it before you know now why it`s not always possible to give advice on tomato growing-some of the best tasting ones have so many `problems`that it`s a matter of discovery
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 17:16:15 by cleo »

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #185 on: August 08, 2009, 03:36:30 »

chrisc

;D ;D-Welcome to the world of growing the more `unusual` types of tomatoes.

If you didn`t know it before you know now why it`s not always possible to give advice on tomato growing-some of the best tasting ones have so many `problems`that it`s a matter of discovery

Heh heh..... I think of them as  being a tomato equivalent of Pink Fir Apple potatos..... you wouldn't gow that if it wasn't for the taste :-) .... That said one of the Krims forked, both sides grew blind into a truss, then one of the trusses threw a sideshoot which I ended up having to tie in as the leadshoot.... which explains why the main stem on that one turns into a truss for about a foot then turns back into stemj.....

chrisc

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2009, 20:09:16 »
A bit of bad timing 10 days to early for best truss

[attachment=1]

DAVY

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2009, 20:40:40 »
I have an almost ripe "Ananas"/Pineapple in the big greenhouse..  :)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2009, 20:48:26 »
I have an almost ripe "Ananas"/Pineapple in the big greenhouse..  :)

What are they like to grow

DAVY

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2009, 20:51:01 »
Like most beefsteaks... can get confused but less aggressive than say Giant Tree...  :)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2009, 21:17:57 »
Like most beefsteaks... can get confused but less aggressive than say Giant Tree...  :)

The reason for asking is i am not a lover of beefy toms, not because of the flavor because of they tend to go blind. I have a yelllow which is a great cropper the name i dont know, i got it 20 year ago and the grower who give me it had been growing it that long he had forgot the name. It did that well on the show bench we called  "show yellow" hoping to put a stand of six in the village show tomorrow and some from that truss for a stand of red.

DAVY

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2009, 22:00:26 »
Good luck with "show yellow"... have you asked HSL about it... they may be able to identify it or if not find it a "Home" in the collection...  :-\

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #192 on: August 22, 2009, 15:00:52 »
I must invest in a better camara, hoping that this is going to spot on for the first monday in Sept

[attachment=1]

DAVY

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal