Author Topic: hedgehogs on lotties  (Read 2346 times)

elvis2003

• Hectare
hedgehogs on lotties
« on: March 15, 2009, 23:50:36 »
hi folks,ive recently emailed a local wildlife sanctuary asking if we could rehome hogs on our site,they have replied asking for address details etc,but before we communicate any further,im wondering if we would be suitable.some plotholders use slug pellets,and as i know they are potentially harmfull to hogs,anyone know if this is indeed the case? in an ideal world,folk would stop using them for the sake of the hogs,and in fact because if we had them,they wouldnt need to use pellets,but this is something we couldnt police. just wondering if any of you have any experience of this,ta in advance
rach
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

lavenderlux

• Acre
Re: hedgehogs on lotties
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 07:34:19 »
Hi Rach

Haven't any experience of rehoming hedgehogs onto an allotment site, but we have several hedgehogs on our field and from time to time we do find dead ones - including one yesterday, don't know if its due to slug pellets or other causes. 
Also, we get hedgehogs in our town garden and I know some of my neighbours use slug pellets but there's usually at least one hog visiting our garden most evening during the spring / summer / autumn -  hedgehogs though do seem to prefer eating any left-over cat food from the dishes outside to slugs and snails!   

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 23:21:41 »
would love some, but have never seen any up my plot.   :(
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 23:28:33 »
discovered today that our site used to have lots of hogs in years gone by,and they quite often got tangled up in peoples netting  ??? something i hadnt considered as a hazard,im a bit worried now if we ARE that great a place for the little spiky fellows,but im sure the experts will be a better judge of that than myself?!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 23:27:25 »
Years ago we used to have a hedgie come into the garden every night, stupid me one day put slug pellets down  we were inandated with the bloody things.
After that we never saw hedgie again i still feel  bad about it to this day. :'(

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 10:36:33 »
We've had HHs in our garden for years. I use slug pellets but the safe ones. When I used the other type I put them in an ice cream container with a hole cut in the side. That worked for me. We now have a plot & I was talking to someone the other day who said she found a baby HH caught up in netting she had left out. She managed to cut it free & thinks it survived. Something else to consider.
Janet

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 11:23:32 »
Glad you said that about the netting,I have a habit of leaving it around.Will put it away now. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal