Author Topic: tomatoes in the greenhouse  (Read 2173 times)

aebal

• Not So New ...
tomatoes in the greenhouse
« on: March 06, 2009, 15:35:25 »
In the past I have planted tomatoes in grow bags which I turned on their sides to get extra depth, but this year I would like to try them in double pots of compost similar to ring culture, feeding in the top pot, water in the bottom.
Has anyone any thoughts - thanks

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: tomatoes in the greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 16:28:44 »
I have used a similar and much cheaper principle  for more years than I care to remember.

The purpose behind the system is; tomatoes have two sets of roots'feeders' at the top and 'water seekers' at the bottom something I think you already know.

The idea you suggested is a system to utilise this phenomina and there are a number of ways to do it.

1) the double pot system as you suggested.

2) Felt rings ( similar to roofing felt) filled with potting compost.

3) Bottomless buckets

4) Rings made from large diameter drainage pipes ( my method)

These effectively do the job of the top pot in the system you suggested.

With items 2-4 you sit the container on a bed of a material that holds moisture,e.g gravel and this is where you add water, this equates with the bottom pot in the system you mention.

So basically you have a two tier system.

In the link below you will see that I use drainage pipes sat on a humus rich bed to get my two tier system.

I sometimes take this a stage further and sit a plant pot in the ring (see pic 5) in particular I do it with cucumber as these are prone to 'neck rot' so applying water through this plant pot keeps the neck of the plant dry.

If I am growing my tomatoes in the greenhouse border I sink a 5" plant pot into the bed at the base of each plant and this gets the water directly to the water seeking roots,i.e. it is another variation of the two tier system.

I would suggest you look in to some form of DIY system first before going to the expense of buying double pots.

What comes to mind is the infamous black bucket that so many of the members of A4A use and comes free from the supermarket.

All you have to do is remove the bottom and voila.....you have the bottom pot and any old plant pot or cream carton is your watering hole.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Ring%20Culture/ring%20culture.html

I leave my thoughts with you.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 20:07:55 »
From the A4A wiki
Growing under glass

Ring Culture

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?page=9

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 20:09:36 by davyw1 »
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 07:45:32 »
I've used the ring culture method in my garden greenhouse since I bought it some time in the 1980s. When I built the greenhouse at the allotment I started growing the tomatoes in 10-inch pots. Last year I did half in pots and the other half using ring culture: the ring culture won hands down, in size of plant, yield, and ease of handling & tying in. I'm convinced.

aebal

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 09:05:02 »
thankyou for your answers, specially TG, very thorough. I shall try your method this year, let you know how I get on.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 09:41:58 »
I use the bottomless buckets, into the soil, or even into grow bags...  ;D

staris

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 15:51:12 »
i like the look of the drainage rings what size pipe are you using and did you just buy it from a builders merchant  :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 16:24:15 »
like the look of the drainage rings what size pipe are you using and did you just buy it from a builders merchant

I worked in the Building & Civil engineering industry before retiring and the ones I have are off cuts from large diameter sewage pipes in this case 10" diameter.

The next time your car gets stopped at some roadworks have a look at what they are laying. If they are laying large diameter utility service pipes (Gas,Water,Sewage etc) have a word with the workers and see if they have any offcuts.

The colour wont matter to the plants in fact blue water pipes in the greenhouse might look quite fetching!

staris

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 19:25:39 »
ok thanks i'll keep my eyes open, i the mean time looks like i might have to get some buckets.

i've found some buckets on ebay 26cm wide by 26cm deep i can get 30 for £18.00+postage i think i'll get them and cut the bottoms out.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 19:34:20 by staris »

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 20:07:52 »
ok thanks i'll keep my eyes open, i the mean time looks like i might have to get some buckets.

i've found some buckets on ebay 26cm wide by 26cm deep i can get 30 for £18.00+postage i think i'll get them and cut the bottoms out.

Save your pennies and just ask at any supermarket and they might let you have the black flower buckets.. I had 80 from Asda in 2007
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal