Author Topic: Clearing a plot etc  (Read 2168 times)

Gabriel27

Clearing a plot etc
« on: May 13, 2009, 11:20:17 »
Hi.
I have a half plot which has a lot of unwanted weeds including: buttercup, ground elder,
dock, couch grass and bind weed plus others I don't know the name of.  I have sprayed
with Roundup Concentrate and apart from a few weeds that will need another go, they
are dying off nicely.   My questions are about whether to dig it all in or clear the foliage in some way first.  I want to minimise regrowth - what about seeds that are on a dead (sprayed) plant - would they germinate if dug in?  Burning in situ springs to mind here if digging in would be considered a no no.  As the foliage is not green it should not produce too much smoke but I would have
to wait for a NE or E wind due to some flats nearby.  Taking the top off will give me a pile of stuff I don't really want.  Advice welcomed, thanks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Clearing a plot etc
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 11:33:44 »
Welcome to A4A Gabriel. I'd dig it under myself... burning is an option if you can.
 :)

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 11:43:42 »
I'd still try and pick it out and burn if possible.  I didnt spray when clearing the plot and the best method was to dig and try and remove as much as possible, leave for a fortnight and then re-dig and remove anything regrowing or otherwise.  Then dig again a fortnight later.  I reckon I have got 9% out that way.  Its not as bad as it might appear and is well worth it rather than the heart ache of planting crops and then seeing weeds regrowing and being helpless to do anything about it.

In an area which I couldnt really dig because fruit bushes were in situ there is a tonne of bindweed around the roots of those plants which is rearing it's ugly head now so I have used chemicals on the foliage there in the hope it keeps it at bay this season.  I all honesty though I accpet that in the winter I will need to dig each bush up and hand pick out all the bind weed root as I know even the chemical route will not be totally effective.

Conclusion - hard work and lots of digging but I think the only way to guarentee success and ultimately worth it!

Psi

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 19:17:50 »
hiya, gabriel, nice to meet you  ;D
I'd rake it off and burn it

Gabriel27

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 15:03:14 »
Thanks to you kind people for your advice. Burning seems to be the
best option I think, though it will have to wait a bit as we've had a fair bit
of rain recently.   Digging the plot over and pulling stuff out
every fortnight or so would be very effective, I'm sure, though sadly I
don't have that sort of energy anymore!!  Obviously I will have to dig
stuff out as it grows - I just hope the new Super Concentrate Roundup
is effective.
Thanks again,
Gabriel27 

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 01:43:26 »
Hi,  I hate chemicals, never use them, no insecticides, nothing but have just been reading through this thread and it reminded me of when I took over my very overgrown plot two seasons ago - it had not been worked for over 2 years. It was May and every weed - of which there were millions was either flowering or seeding.  In desperation I decided to strim and spray - I also had perennial weeds like docks and the most enormous thistles and masses of nettles.  I am in my sixties so digging the whole lot out 'in the green' was really not an option.

I strimmed, waited a week or two for a bit of regrowth, then chose a windless evenng and set about the task, being very careful indeed.  There was only one other person on the site that evening.  After then I was accosted every day almost by different people with remarks like 'Oh you're the 'one' who used weedkiller' or 'Why didn't you dig 'em out' (Dig??? I'd still be there for goodness sake.)  I was pretty upset and pored over the terms and conditions,  Had I missed something, were we a totally organic weedkiller free site?  No, we weren't, it was just the local lottie mafia - you probably have met them - who take it upon themselves to be virtuously organic, having had their pristine plots for years and not needing any desperation measures.  In any case there was still a lot of digging to be done, but made easier by the weedkiller.

I spend every spare minute on my plot which is now compares well with others.  But it was a bad mistake using the weedkiller and took a long time to get over.  Those of you with very overgrown plots please consider the weedkiller option very carefully if you don't want to make yourself unpopular on your own lottie.  PS:  all is now peace and harmony.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 16:11:58 »
Glyphosate stays in the soil for a very long time - many years.  Monsanto's sales pitch was originally that it was denatured when it hit the soil and broke down into something harmless, but they were lying, and they don't try that on any more.  Roundup also contains a surfactant that is contributing to the decline of frogs.  Using glyphosate isn't a personal decision, it affects everyone's environment and commits successive tenants to your decision without their consent.  I wouldn't want to hector a fellow gardener, but it needs saying.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 17:50:29 »
Thank you 'unwashed' (nothing personal!).  I really do take your point and learned my lesson, although I was using Weedol and not any of the other chemicals mentioned.  And I really don't mind being gently admonished........as I said it was a mistake, I should have 'taken counsel' before I did it.  My point was exactly that...be careful what you do when plot clearing.  Also think twice about taking on a heavily overgrown plot unless you are young, strong, and have lots of helpers!

Regards, Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 21:06:54 »
A half plot near ours was taken on recently & it had some annual weeds & a few perennials on about 6' of the plot, nothing major. We went one day & they were green, a couple of days later they were brown, as was the grass path. There was an empty roundup spray bottle on the path. A few days later it was planted up. I do hope he doesn't offer me anything :o :o :o.
Janet

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 21:29:51 »
A point to rememember at this time of year if you are going to spray with weed killer remember that other gardeners now have tomatoes well established and the weedkiller can be carried on the wind it does not take a lot to damege or poison them.
Nothing wrong with a spade or fork, a yard a day just nice and steady wont kill you.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 21:40:04 »
After then I was accosted every day almost by different people with remarks like 'Oh you're the 'one' who used weedkiller'

I'm probably fortunate that my plot is in a corner so other than catching the edge of the path a couple of times, no harm has been done. I sometimes shield the spray behind a piece of cardboard though, to stop it blowing around.

I do think that if they are going to be sanctimonious about weedkillers the organic plot holders should offer their digging and weeding services as an alternative!

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 15:33:15 »
dont burn the roots of the weeds turn them into plant food!

submerge them in a large container of water leave them - when they are rotted down use as a liquid feed

Flowerdew reckons that the romans invented this method and he also recommends maybe covering the surface of the water container with some vegetable oil to keep the mozzies out!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal