Author Topic: Science vs Old Wives Tales  (Read 1397 times)

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
Science vs Old Wives Tales
« on: March 06, 2009, 10:38:01 »
Now, I am an old engineer, and it grieves me deeply to report that The Met Office long term forecast for the UK is for cooler than average temperature this spring, while the Danish Met Office (I "live" in Denmark) forecasts slightly higher than average temperatures for the same regions. What on earth is going on? Aren't these highly educated people sharing the same theories, or is there a flaw in their superior facade?

What would Grandad or Grandma  have said about fancy theories predicting the future? My Gramp was sure of going to heaven, but he knew nowt about next month's wages!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Science vs Old Wives Tales
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 12:31:30 »
Maybe I'm just an old grumpy but I suspect the Danish Met office doesn't sell the information in the same manner that the UK Met Office does. They cannot sell the information for lots of money and give it away free at the same time.

Possibly both agencies sell the information and the true forecast could be derived from merging both data sets.

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 04:06:19 »
this is a safe bet

in England we have weather

weather is different to climate
in antartica its climate it snows and is cold all the time
in africa its climate its always hot
in good old England we have weather one day its cold next day its hot then it rains then the sun comes out . the weather hasnt been to bad the last few days nice and sunny but it would not suprise me it it snows in april

:D dont you just love the English weather ;)
HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 11:14:40 »
this is a safe bet

in England we have weather

in good old England we have weather one day its cold next day its hot then it rains then the sun comes out . the weather hasnt been to bad the last few days nice and sunny but it would not suprise me it it snows in april

:D dont you just love the English weather ;)

That's why we talk about it so much :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal