Author Topic: Veg on a slope?  (Read 4211 times)

*pixie*

• Quarter Acre
Veg on a slope?
« on: March 04, 2009, 20:01:37 »
can you gorw veg on a slope?

daileg

• Hectare
Re: Veg on a slope?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 20:04:00 »
i dont see it being a problem we have been doing it in wales since time began lol sorry cant see the pics as im in work server doesnt allow me

spudsmummy

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 20:07:10 »
hi there
i cant see why you cant grow on there.

some of the allotments round here have more of a slope then that  ;D

good luck
6.5 rod plot in southampton, just me and my 2yr old son, hehe       

*pixie*

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 20:25:09 »
It does get a lot steeper ( so much so I usually end on my arse) but that bit is under trees and grass doesnt grow there so I doubt much else will!

Any tips for growing on slopes?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 20:59:31 »
Any tips for growing on slopes?
You could always make tiered beds.  Start at the bottom and as you level the bed above, put that soil into the one below as you level it off.  You just need to source the materials to make the small retaining walls.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 21:21:38 »
Make the beds and pathways across the slope, less chance of ending up on your behind  ;D.
I think you will need retainers (raised beds) as the earth might wash downwards  ::)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 21:27:55 »
lay some logs or sleepers etc across the slope, nail them in with stakes. then terrace.
does it perchance face south? if so, try to keep the soil on as much of a slope as possible, this will angle it towards the sun, gaining more solar energy, and you need all the help you can get oop north!! ;) ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 09:15:21 »
Terracing would help a lot if you can do it; you wouldn't be falling over, and it would stop soil washing out in heavy rain. But it can certainly be cultivated.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 09:24:14 »
Last year as part of the NGS scheme, I went to an old walled garden being restored near Macclesfield.  it was on a fierce slope ( with amazing views).  It was terraced, and the volunteer I spoke to said it got lots of sun due to the slope, but made their calf muscles ache.  Their biggest problem was rabbits, the slope was incidental.  If the Victorians thought it was a good option, I'd say you have a great opportunity there.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

*pixie*

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 13:12:03 »
Thanks all for your tips and support.  :) Im not very handy, neither is Hubby! I may try and area with some kind of bodged (it will be LOL!) terracing and one without and see how I get on. I dont plan to grow a lot in it this year its really just a tester  :D

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 16:06:05 »
Thanks all for your tips and support.  :) Im not very handy, neither is Hubby! I may try and area with some kind of bodged (it will be LOL!) terracing and one without and see how I get on. I dont plan to grow a lot in it this year its really just a tester  :D

if you aren't sure about taking on the project this year why not plant some squashes/ pumpkins they could then trail down and would love the heat of the sun.

beckydore

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 16:55:58 »
yes - sounds like a lot of effort to create terrace if you are just going to 'have a go'. Plant on the slope this year and if you get enthused about using it next year then think about putting in the terraces.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 17:57:25 »
Hi Pix as already said it shouldn't be a problem, one of the lottie programs on telly showed lotties in Wales on slopes, and I'm sure someone on here has a garden where the slopes have been turned into tiers and it looked great.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

*pixie*

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 19:50:26 »
Brill thanks all  ;D

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 19:44:30 »
My allotment is on the side of a mountain, I plant across the slope and have terraces on the steeper parts. The only problem is the rain runs off very fast and so the soil tends to dry out quickly, I compensate this by making as much compost as I can.

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 03:51:41 »
My allotment is on the side of a mountain, I plant across the slope and have terraces on the steeper parts. The only problem is the rain runs off very fast and so the soil tends to dry out quickly, I compensate this by making as much compost as I can.
i have a tottaly different problem my lotty is so flat it holds to much water. i have dug in drain channels
HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal