Author Topic: m/w with conventional oven  (Read 960 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
m/w with conventional oven
« on: March 04, 2009, 16:49:49 »
My Granddaughter has moved into a flat and has asked my advice on dual purpose M/Ws.  Does she buy a conventional double oven and cheap M/W?  I don't know what to advise.  Are the M/Ws with a grill O.K.  Is there anyone out there using one?  Help please.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: m/w with conventional oven
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 17:19:35 »
We have one, had it for donkeys years and once in a while, we do use the covection oven in it.  It works fine, never had a problem.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 17:28:22 »
My dual microwave  worked just fine but I was so used to using my cooker I hardly ever used it.

It would depend how much she liked cooking and how often she cooked to the advice I would give her.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 19:40:28 »
I have a microwave combined with the Top Oven and a grill.  It works well.  Its a Bosch and is used most nights.  The food being microwaved does not turn but I am able to heat up soup with a spoon in the cup at 900w.  I think its great. 

;)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 19:41:55 »
I'm also a fan of combi microwaves, but I do like crispy jacket potatoes and cheese on toast!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 09:03:00 »
It depends on how many she needs to feed?
If it's just her, then the combi would be fine. Some can be programmed to microwave the food first then bake after (ideal for jacket potatoes).
We are a family of 5 and i only use the combi when i'm on my own or with the baby.

I point to think about, most combi's need to cool down after using the oven before the microwave can be used.

Neil

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 20:20:16 »
They have to be kept scrupulously clean. We have one in our tea room at work, and every time you microwave anything, black bits fall out of the grill into the food if you dont cover it, and if you put it on the grill setting, the room fills with smoke.

My colleague assures me that this is normal as they "suck up the grease and burnt bits" but so far nobody is volunteering for cleaning duties!

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 20:35:59 »
I use my combi microwave all the time and only use a conventional cooker for frying or baking very large meals.
My Panasonic turns the food, and can microwave, grill and convection cooking either separately or at the same time in any combination.
No problems with falling black bits or smoke!!
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 20:42:31 »
as a chef for the last 16 years on and off would say a combi oven is a good choice gives you more choice of what you can use it for and smaller in a smaller kitchen to have just the one appliance

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 21:31:37 »
Here's my spanner!
 If both parts work well....well and good. If one bit goes bonkers you can't replace just the broken part. It's back to basics again.
 Having said that, appliances are pretty good these days. Just don't pay too much money, shop around and haggle! (It's a buyers market at the moment). And kick the 'extra assurance' into touch....it costs as much as the appliance itself!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal