Author Topic: Sowing seeds - mouldy soil  (Read 1516 times)

anemone

• Half Acre
Sowing seeds - mouldy soil
« on: February 25, 2009, 14:36:43 »
I sowed some seeds a few days ago and the tops of the soil are looking all mouldy already. I used little peat pots and watered from below. is there anything i can do to save the situation?

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
Re: Sowing seeds - mouldy soil
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 15:58:40 »

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 22:03:39 »
Place them in cooler temperatures.  It is too humid.  If they are in  a propogator then remove the lid.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 05:28:23 »
I am trying 2 cures...............sprinkling ground cinnamon on the top, and watering with weak, cold camomile tea.

Both these are natural fungicides apparently, and some people swear by it. I have to say I haven't had any fungal growth at all..........yet!

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 10:54:17 »
I have the same problem in my lean-to, probably through lack of ventilation, and asked a similar question a few weeks ago:
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,48979.0.html

It seems that the mildew doesn't really harm the plants, so I'm less worried about it now, but trying to ventilate my lean-to better by opening the door whenever I can.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 13:40:47 »
I have found covering with a layer of vermiculite after sowing makes a real difference- hardly had any damping off since I started doing this a couple of years ago.

anemone

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 22:11:39 »
I tried the camomile and cinnamon as I had some around and it seems to be working with the mould!

I also took the lid of the propogator - it was already in the coldest part of the house. So I'm quite surprised and excited that some chili and tomato seedlings are popping up now!

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 16:42:24 »
Hi,

Ive had this problem using loo roll tubes, trick is not to over water them. You have said that yours are sitting in water. I still use loo roll tubes but now water using an old fairy liquid bottle (old type) and just squeeze enough water into the top to dampen the potting compost. This has worked for me, no more mould yet (fingers crossed). The cauliflower seeds that ive set in loo roll tubes, pre fairy liquid bottle, were watered with a watering can and have mould on them but the plants are ok.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal