Author Topic: Tyres as planters  (Read 2765 times)

*pixie*

• Quarter Acre
Tyres as planters
« on: March 03, 2009, 15:48:01 »
Ive been told that tyres as planters are ok as long as you dont intend to eat the produce from them. Is this true and if I were to line it with say bin bags would this make it safe?

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Tyres as planters
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 16:11:37 »
Food may or may not be contaminated but tyres are ugly, heavy and difficult to use efficiently. Why waste energy hoarding other peoples rubbish when there are far better alternatives. If you have to use containers why not use pots?

Tyres are so 60's.

*pixie*

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 19:02:21 »
I saw them painted in a garden where everything was recycled. I quite liked them. Pots cost money and blow over fairly easily where I am.

If we all liked the same thing Im sure life would be very boring  :)

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 19:47:23 »
i planted up carrotts in my tyre stack last year - no problems there - in fact they grew amazing and managed through the hard frost we had just before xmas
intend to use them again this year - 4/5 tyres stacked up, gets the carrotts above the carrott fly - bottom half of stack filled with empty juice bottles, top filled up with growbag and compost

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 19:53:01 »
We are using them for Strawberries... but then I am a child of the 60's....  ;D

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 19:55:30 »
just read a bit in the grow your own forum about using them to grow potatos - going to give that a go this year.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 20:15:51 »
I know that Bob Flowerdew is very fond of using recycled tyres for all sorts in his garden and if it's good enough for him I'd say go for it.  :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

*pixie*

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 20:33:10 »
Glad to see Im not being too retro then  :D Unfortunately(?) I was born in 83 so I dont remember the gardening trends of the 60's.  ;D

So should I line them or no need?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal