Author Topic: Annuals for partial shade  (Read 2693 times)

raisedbedted

• Hectare
Annuals for partial shade
« on: March 18, 2009, 08:23:23 »
Hello everyone.

Our garden is shaded quite heavily by large Oak trees, plus we have a heavy alkaline clay soil.  For 3 months a year (Spring) it looks glorious but come June time it all fizzles out with barely a flower in site.

This year I want to change that and so am looking for annuals that can cope with a bit of shade - most areas will still get 3 hours of sun a day and the rest dappled.

So far in my list I have...
Clarkia
Alyssum
Nicotiana

Failing that anyone with a chainsaw and diplomatic immunity from tree preservation orders....

Best laid plans and all that

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
Re: Annuals for partial shade
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 09:21:33 »
Nemesia has a long flowering season and does well in a little shade. Heartsease (Viola tricolor) also flowers - and seeds! - profusely in partial shade.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 15:23:21 »
Anemone     Aquilegia     Begonia     Centaurea     Convallaria     Cyclamen
Dianthus           Digitalis           Fuchsia    Galanthus    Helleborus    Heuchera
Hosta              Impatiens    Iris            Lamium            Lilium            Linaria
Lobelia           Mahonia           Oxalis    Polygonatum    Primula           Pulmonaria

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Plants%20by%20location/Plants%20by%20location.htm

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 17:09:35 »
Any special reason to plant annuals? Cyclamen would probably flourish, and they've always been one of my favourites.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 17:56:24 »
Just being imaptient, have beds of Cyclamen, Geraniums, Dicentra,Hellebores,Polygonatum but really plant to plant up the space where the early spring flowerers are.

Trouble is most of the list are spring flowers ( as you might expect) and I really want summer continuation.
Best laid plans and all that

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 20:35:35 »
Rudbeckia a pretty shade tolerant, as are the dreaded montbricea and very tolerant of the drought conditions  under trees.

But our best flower for shady spots is the white zantadecia it doesnt really like dry though.
good luck
x sunloving

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal