Author Topic: Fennel & Dill  (Read 1631 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Fennel & Dill
« on: March 02, 2009, 15:28:50 »
I have heard that if you grow fennel and dill near to each other they cross pollinate and become "fenndill" and have no taste or flavour   :-\ .  was someone pulling my leg  :-[  Does anyone know if this is true or not? And if it is true how far apart would you have to grow them not to be affected. I'm planning on growing both these in the garden but I could move say the dill to the allotment but was wanting to keep all the herbs closer to hand.

Thanks

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
Re: Fennel & Dill
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 15:51:30 »
Sounds like nonsense to me.

The plants may well cross-pollinate (if they both happen to be flowering at the same time) and any seeds germinated and grown from them may have some mixed characteristics - but it certainly won't affect this first seasons growth.

If you were worried just cut off any flowers from one or the other. The herb Fennel is hardy perennial anyway so will regenerate from the root for several years without any need for further sowing. Dill is an annual so you will need to raise new plants each year - so thats the one you should let go to seed.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Fennel & Dill
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 13:41:13 »
Thanks GodfreyRob, I did wonder! And your thoughts about it not affecting the current years crop seems to make sense, I probably won't bother to save any seed (for this year anyway) and see how I go

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal