Author Topic: Not doing enough  (Read 1993 times)

ManicComposter

• Not So New ...
Not doing enough
« on: March 01, 2009, 13:56:46 »
I have spent the past two weekends down on my plot getting it ready as best I can. The only problem is that I always feel like there is something else to do and that it will never be ready for planting.

Anyone else ever have these thoughts?

I have seeds planted in my greenhouse which will be ready in a few weeks, I am kind of nervous that I wont have everything ready to plant out.

This is my first year on my plot, I got it last June. Since last June I have had to clear it completely of weed which at the time of me taking it on were taller than I am at 6ft.

No doubt things will be better next year :)

simmo116

• Acre
Re: Not doing enough
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 14:38:01 »
im the other way. ive run out if stuff to do...lol :)

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 14:39:44 »
Yep, have that feeling all the time.  Even if I did not work I would always be worried.

It is called the Jits (Just in Time Syndrome).  Don't worry about it you will get enough done but it will always seem like you haven't.

Sit back and join Jimtheworsel when he next goes to the lottie and take 8 cans of beer and enjoy them.

Well done for clearing the plot, enjoy your gardening.

Bill

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 14:57:05 »
I often feel like I haven't done enough - but it spoils my enjoyment a bit. I try to make myself appreciate what I have done, and not go straight to thinking about the next thing.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 17:29:51 »
Yes, all the time! Don't expect to ever get everything done- there's always something else that needs doing (usually weeding!). The seedlings will wait- make sure you don't plant them out too soon! Keep a diary and write down what you HAVE done!

tim_n

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 08:47:10 »
I concur about the diary.  Been trying to remember what spuds I planted and where...

I've been chipping away since last monday, doing an hour every evening.  Every night I've done an hour until it gets dark generally weeding and getting it into shape.

Sunday I spent the day down there and things are getting much better - but still so much to do!  I've resolved to spend no more money this year on allotment related things except for the manure for the three beds.  Which is a shame because I could really do with making another two or three raised beds...

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 10:14:08 »
I am in a complete tizzy this year!  Can't settle to do anything and running round like a headless chicken!

Start something and jump onto something else - nothing happening at all about putting anything in at home or the lottie.  Hopefully I will come out of my tizzy soon and become a bit more sorted. 

Probably sensible to write a list and stick to it - now where was I again?

Off I go - again!!!

Old Bird

;D

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 13:51:27 »
i still have lots of wild areas to dig before I can plant things - I'm not worried because I do all I can but I do wish I could clone myself to help me dig!

What will be will be - some things in life you cant control and it is just Ok that that is the way it is.  Do what you can as that is all you can do.

Psi

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 23:18:47 »
I'm always fire fighting, thats why I have a blog, it reminds me where I've come from, what I've got to do, and where and when I planted what.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 23:33:52 »
I concur about the diary.  Been trying to remember what spuds I planted and where.
try using eristic's site
http://downtheplot.com/index.php
 ;)
You couldn't make it up!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 23:39:36 »
I always manage to find the time to get everything done at the plot even if some of it is last minute.  Sometimes it is at the sacrifice of doing stuff at home in the house.  I keep putting off clearing and tidying my attic saying I will do it when it is raining because I cannot get to the plot.  The flower beds in my front garden need clearing but I am currently clearing our second plot we got last week.....
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 13:24:43 »
Hey I've had my plot for nearly 2 years and I've still got things to clear... the old coldframe which I've never touched so don't beat yourself up about any untouched bits.  My old steward said 'it's a marathon and not a race'.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 14:53:12 »
Usually by now my greenhouse is bursting with stuff. This year I have nothing growing in there at all! In fact I have just burnt a sulphur candle in there to kill of any overwintering bugs!
I hope to start sowing tomorrow starting with broad beans and peas (always start them off in pots).
I am a sure that things will catch up - its been so cold and dark most of Jan/Feb that I don't think things would have done much anyway (thats my excuse).

Part of the pleasure for me is that there is always something to do next ;)
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 18:44:42 »
At the plot I'm on top of things, but the sowing indoors as always is all over the place.  ???     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal