Author Topic: Parsnip wine  (Read 4269 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Parsnip wine
« on: February 28, 2009, 13:21:29 »
Dug these up this morning, they are on the cooker now, on the way to being 3 gallons of wine!!
[attachment=1]
You couldn't make it up!

Sarah_O

• Not So New ...
  • Another year older another year wiser
Re: Parsnip wine
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 19:38:57 »
Hi Tonybloke,
What recipe do you use. My hubby is interested in making parsnip wine. His gooseberry wine is yummy.

Ta
Sarah
"Brains first and then hard work." -Eeyore

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 21:11:29 »
4 lb parsnip, cut up into chunks, 2 sliced lemons (for the acid) per gal of water. bring to boil, simmer 'til soft (not mushy) strain (don;t squeeze) into a container, add 3 lb sugar, stir 'til dissolved. when cooled to blood temp, add yeast and airlock. rack after a couple of weeks. ;)
(John Seymour R.I.P.) recipe!
You couldn't make it up!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 20:57:04 »
4 lb parsnip, cut up into chunks, 2 sliced lemons (for the acid) per gal of water. bring to boil, simmer 'til soft (not mushy) strain (don;t squeeze) into a container, add 3 lb sugar, stir 'til dissolved. when cooled to blood temp, add yeast and airlock. rack after a couple of weeks. ;)
(John Seymour R.I.P.) recipe!
Do you have trouble getting it to clear? I'm assuming it has a starch in it. The crab apple wine took a long time to clear compared to other wines I've made and I read it was due to the starch.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 21:50:05 »
it's still bubbling away!
You couldn't make it up!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 23:21:24 »
My dad used to make parsnip wine - darned good stuff it was too, and lethal  :P :P :P
The Tuscan Beaneater

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 20:43:50 »
PARSNIP WINE (MADEIRA)
Contributed by Tom Keys

Shop parsnips are no good--you need fresh from Allotment or Farm Shop after a couple of good frosts--usually November to end of year.

Ingredients
4Lb Parsnip,
1 lb Bananas,
1 pint Orange Juice,
2 lb Sultanas*,
2 lb Sugar,
1 small pkt Dried Elderflower,
2 tsp Pectic Enzyme,
2 tsp Amalyze Enzyme,
1 tsp Malic Acid,
1 tsp Tartaric Acid,
1 tsp Wine Tannin,
1 tsp Yeast nutrient,
2 Vit B1 tablets,
1 sachet Sauterne/Burgundy /HT Yeast, and when wine finished 2 campden and 1 tsp Potassium Sorbate.
Alternatively * 2 pints White Grape Concentrate.

Method
Parsnips must be well frosted to release sweetness and flavour, scrub thoroughly, peeling only as a last resort--slice or cube--bring to boil in 3 pint water, simmer until cooked, about 20 mins, removing scum from surface, strain liquor onto 1 lb sugar, in bucket. Peel banana discarding skin, slice flesh into saucepan 1 pint water, bring slowly to boil stirring all the time, DO NOT LET BURN-simmer for 10 mins continue stirring, add saucepan contents to bucket, still to mix in, allow to cool.  Wash sultanas in hot running water to remove oil, mince and add to the bucket with the other ingredients (except Elderflowers).
Ferment in bucket covered only with cloth for 5 days, stirring twice daily, strain liquor into clean bucket, add elderflowers and 4 oz sugar cover and stir for another 4 days--strain off adding and dissolving 4 oz sugar, put into demijohn to shoulder keeping surplus in bottle plugged with cotton wool, when ferment slows add topping up to neck, when gravity drops to 1.010 continue to feed with 2 oz sugar increments, rack and top up every month, when completely finished, rack and add crushed campden and Sorbate.
This was the Dudley Wine Circle recipe for 1978 and has been winning Dessert Wine classes ever since.
Do not drink for 2 yrs--the parsnip pulp can be frozen and used to thicken stews.
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 21:06:26 »
with the orange juice, sultanas, banana and elderflower, is it fair to call your recipe 'parsnip' ?
At least the one I use is only parsnip + lemon juice  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal