Author Topic: bedding annuals  (Read 1754 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
bedding annuals
« on: February 27, 2009, 19:43:57 »
Now we have our greenhouse I am wanting to sow quite a large quantity of bedding plants from seed. These are common bedding plants like lobelia etc. I have had a look at Teegee's site and it says sow under glass at between 13 and 18 degrees for the various flowers in march. Would I be okay to just use 3 inch pots filled with seed compost and sowing the seeds (lots to prick out) on the windowsill in the house this weekend? Do I cover the seeds with compost or is there a better method? Do they need a lid on the propagator? Have never grown bedding plants from seed and I really want them to work!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: bedding annuals
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 19:53:53 »
I  think you're a bit early for annuals.If you sow them too early they will be ready to go outside before it's warm enough.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 20:07:28 »
I'd wait another couple of weeks in Manchester as well Sparkly...  :)

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 20:11:27 »
Thanks for the advice. Is the method okay?  :-\

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 20:14:27 »
yep, if you are using plant pots to start you can put them in little plastic bags till the seedlings are up... instead of lids which never really fit...  :)

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 20:21:08 »
Thanks!

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 21:59:25 »
I've already got lobelia going - they are quite slow growing until they get to a decent size. One tray is in the (cold) greenhouse, the other will go in there next week.

I've found that it's late June/July before they're ready to go out if I leave them later.

I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 05:18:07 »
If you have a greenhouse you can start the seeds in it now, they may take a little time to come through but a lot of them can be started in February, March, in an unheated greenhouse, fleece/polythene over the top will help to prevent them from getting frosted on those clear nights when it gets to below zero.

Growers for commercially grown ones will almost certainly have some, in flower, in the shops for Easter to make us all think that we are behind with our growing.

Check your seed packets for details of what to do, I even sneak a look at other packets in garden centres for advice.

Some seeds like marigolds are large and can be easily spread over a seed tray. Other plant seeds are almost as fine as talcum powder and it is easy to make a mistake with these and have a few hundred in one area. I know some people mix these with  very fine dry sieved compost (or fine vermiculite) in a plastic bag, shake well, then spread the whole mix over a seed tray.

I do not know how many plants you want but a flower pot wont hold many, it is important not to get too many in one area or you will never separate them later.

You can carefully fold over the tops of seed packets or reseal with sellotape and if you keep them in a dry not too hot or cold place, use again next year.

Sowing seeds is a fiddly job I make sure that I have everything I need to hand and never just rip open a packet, shake the seeds to the bottom and cut it carefully with scissors. Some have inner envelopes but not all.

Nettos have some seeds in for 19p a pack aldi and liddl at 27p to 50p and they are just as good as the 'branded' ones for home growers. Honestly. Naturally they sell out quickly when they come in stock, which is now.

I put a good quality all purpose compost in half a seed tray then squash it down with another seed tray and water the lot with a fine spray of water from a can. Leave it for a good half hour to soak in. You can even prep this the night before. If you have several to do.

Then I spread out the seeds, cover them with sieved compost so that they are covered completely and spray with water to dampen the tops. Label at once. Before going on to the next job.

You can reuse plastic supermarket containers as seed trays so long as there are holes in them to drain off water. Some, which have had fruit in also have lids and these can make mini propagators.

Toilet roll inners (I cut mine in half) can be filled with compost and big seeds like sweet peas I put one in each and press it down well into the middle. Stand in a seed tray or one without holes is fine and when ready to plant out, just dig hole big enough to hold the whole tube.

If you get one of those marker pens which will write on plastic then you can cut into 6 cm x 1 cm strips from empty plastic containers and use these for labels.

The sun can bleach out ordinary biro on paper, water will make felt tip ink blur so a pencil is better when writing on paper used as labels.  Those adhesive labels from the stationers, typists used to use for envelopes work well, folded over to form little flags with wooden skewers as the flag pole.

It is a matter of learn as you go. Keep a note of what you plant and when, when the seeds appear and other notes too. Next year you will find it useful. Any little pocket book, kept in a plastic bag with your seed packets will do for this.

Test that the spray on your watering can is fine enough to gently water, you may like to use a spray (like those used for liquid cleaners, which can, if well washed out be reused).

Check list to have ready before you start:

Seeds
Seed trays
Compost
Scissors
selotape
watering can filled
labels
pen/pencil
Note book

Hope some of this has helped.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 10:42:39 »
I have had a look at Teegee's site

Have you had a look at this page? http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Seed%20sowing/Seed%20Sowing.htm

especially this bit; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Seed%20sowing/Seed%20sowing%20in%20Pots/seed%20sowing%20in%20pots.html

There are also slide shows using other types of containers on this page;

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal