Author Topic: Jiffy 7's delivered but no instructions  (Read 4547 times)

genlistlass

• Half Acre
Jiffy 7's delivered but no instructions
« on: February 27, 2009, 07:15:59 »
Daft question!

My Jiffy 7's have finally been delivered (the first lot didn't arrive but the nice people sent me another lot)

But there are no instructions, how do I use them? Any tips apart from putting them in water and then poking seeds into them? Aftercare?

Gen in outer Northumberland (8C at 7am!)
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Jiffy 7's delivered but no instructions
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 07:32:59 »
Hiya, Gen, they're brill though, aren't they.
I put them in warm water, speeds up the expansion, poke a little hole in, plant a seed, press the edges so the soil goes over the seed..then, when I can see roots, transplant into a bigger pot..never let them dry out but don't have them sodden, either  , hope that helps ;D

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 01:15:35 »
I'll second that, Manics. I put them in a container such as a small seed tray, soak them with warm water then leave them overnight for any excess to drain away before sowing - I've lost a few bits over the years for sowing in them when too soggy.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 12:38:32 »
Hi Gen-nice to meet an 'almost' neighbour---still cold and grey in our little edge of Northumberland.  The allotment is beckoning but can't get to it yet for various reasons, but am anxious.  Re your Jiffy 7s it's usual that they should be moistened, just lightly wet otherwise they become too soft to work with.  I just put them in a tray, spray them with water and place some water in the tray itself, not too much.  Then put your compost in and seeds.  The ones I used in the past were made of peat (not sure how you feel abut that) and dried out very quickly, so regular watering was important, but then they tend to get mouldy! Strike the right balance I guess. The absolute great thing about using these things is that you can plant them straight into either a bigger regular pot or in the ground, without removing the growing seedling & risk damage.  That's my take on it for you.  Let's hope we get some brighter weather sooner.  Impatient gardeners aren't we.

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 04:15:21 »
Thank you to Manic Vitaw and Amazin for their answers.

I think I might have overdone the water....I kept putting water on the Jiffys till they stopped sucking it up. None lying in the tray though. I must put the seeds in TODAY!

Vitaw yes you are not too far from here, weather has been poor for anything gardenlike up to now.....my utility room is full of pots and trays!!!

Gen in NBL where it is 0C at 4am (had to get up to take the battery out of the fire alarm, it was beeping and keeping me awake. New battery at more civilised time of the day)
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 21:59:09 »
what the, is a jiffy 7? never even heard of them. am i missing something here

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 11:54:15 »
Thanx Teresa. you learn something new everyday

kev.

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 12:15:11 »
Can they be used for cabbage seeds and stuff, think i mite get some.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 13:25:19 »
this explains more
http://www.gardensupplydirect.co.uk/plant_propagation/jiffy_7_pellets_-_38mm/12709_p.html
they do come in different sizes.
best to have them in a solid plastic container easier to water from bottom when needed. either place in plastic bag or propergator to start them off.
the pellet will rise to about 1inch.
I grew chillie seeds in them all grew and I did not have many seeds. This year special tom's.
Not good for sweetcorn, runner beans anything with long tap roots.
and yes its nice to learn something new each day.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 13:57:57 »
Thanks for the link - I've just ordered some.  I've got several of the little containers (for 12) with the clear plastic covers, but it seems almost impossible to buy refills locally.  This will keep me going for yonks.

:) :) :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 14:06:10 »
I use these and they are great, bit expensive so I am choosy as to what I use them for, little pud I find them very good for brassicas ( not sure about the spelling) I do remove the outer net before transplanting I know it is not essential but I find the plant does better if removed, and I find using a capillary mat of some sort stops them drying out.

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 08:28:47 »
thanx for all the info, think i mite order some and give them a go.

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 08:39:12 »
oooooooh, just found a bit cheaper place to buy from.......kingsseeds.com    £3.65 for 50 and £1.50 postage

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 08:59:11 »
Just ordered 100 from kingsseeds...7.75 inc p+p will see how they go as got loads of cabbages, brussels, different types of kale and stuff to get going with.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 11:16:48 »
£25 for 350 works out at 7p each. It's the best deal I've found so far, roughly half the price of the garden centre ones  :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 12:22:43 »
where u find that amount? i just ordered a few as not used them b4 so will wait and see how i get on. how do u use your smiley faces, everytime i click on them all i get are silly lines

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 13:36:40 »
where u find that amount? i just ordered a few as not used them b4 so will wait and see how i get on. how do u use your smiley faces, everytime i click on them all i get are silly lines

The ebay ad for 350 for £20 plus £5 p/p - I clicked on the link in teresa's post above

The smilies should work - just click on it (above the text box where you're typing the message).  Three question marks is a question ???   colon and a right bracket is a smiley,  semi-colon and bracket is a winkey - in the message they come up as the symbols and convert into smilies when you post the message.

:) :) :)    ;) ;) ;)    :o :o :o  shocked (colon and o)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 13:41:25 by asbean »
The Tuscan Beaneater

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 08:39:02 »
 :D  ;D  8)  ::)  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal