Author Topic: Marestail  (Read 2187 times)

aebal

• Not So New ...
Marestail
« on: February 25, 2009, 17:48:11 »
I have a problem with marestail on my veg plot. I have raised bed with  gravel paths. I have dug the roots out most seasons, three bags this time, but they continue thrive. they come in from under the paths. Can anyone help?       
Thanks

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Marestail
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 18:05:51 »
If you can't get all the roots out (and they do snap really easily don't they) I was told to bruise the weed a bit during its growing period and apply a glyphosate based weedkiller like Roundup and found that this worked pretty well but also that a second dose around six to seven days later was needed.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 20:06:48 »
hiya, aebel, welcome to the site  ;D
it seems, to us, that marestail likes cold, wet ground, as we cultivate the beds, it seems to be easier to control, also, as our soil gets softer, it's easier to pull up  ;D

carlseawolf

• Not So New ...
    • a plot on the landscape
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 20:40:47 »
welcome to the forum Aebal,
 I to have problem with marestail on my plot and i took drastic action of isolating my beds from the ground by plastic sheeting and sieved the soil back into the raised beds to eliminate the roots from my growing medium. There will still be some getting through but 95% will be eradicated doing this and the rest can be taken out as it shows it's self when it starts growing.
 There is details and pics on my website.
Ilfracombe , North Devon

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 21:45:50 »
Persistance and patience is the way ahead I for this long, laborious and never ending task.   ;)

Welcome to the site by the way.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 05:26:21 »
The easiest way to deal with marestail is spray with DEEP ROOT much more effective than roundup on this particular weed, after you have dug and removed the main of the roots all you have to do is about april time mix a spray of DEEP ROOT and every time a new shoot shows its face give it a squirt, at the end of the season your plot will be 90% marestail free you will always miss a few shoots because the hide under stuff so you cant spray them repeat next year and the main of your problem will be solved.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:40:02 »
I agree with KT  it is a long haul, but it can be beaten.

It takes a long time and regular use with a hoe is one good way i.e. every time it appears hoe it off before the head appears, eventually it will weaken because it isn't getting the chance to photosynthesise.

There is some more info here; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Mares%20tail/Mares%20tail.htm

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 13:45:59 »
KT and TeeGee - spot on advice. I got rid of my marestail on first plot first by a double dig to get rid of as many roots as possible. And then everytime I saw any poking its head above soil pulling it out. Beds are now single dug each year and roots removed. But I am now down to probably a quarter of a bucket of roots each time.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 19:16:41 »
Welcome to the site Aebal, plenty of good advice there. It like poor soil as well, can't compete as well as grasses and more "advanced" plants, it dates back to the carboniferous period and our coal seams are the remains of it's big brothers, keep at it and it retreats to other neglected corners...  :)

bionear2

• Half Acre
  • Wigston, Leics
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 22:44:02 »
For what its worth, i heard this reply years ago:

A chap who moved into a new house was dismayed to find the back garden full of marestail.
Complaining to his new neighbour, an veteran of 90 summers, he got the following reply:-

Thats no great problem, it doesn't like having its neck stretched - let it get above ground until you can grip it, dig down a bit and then pull slowly until it snaps.

In two years the man reported his garden was 95 free of the pest.

Me - I do the same, but use the grind and glyphosate technique against large outbreaks.
Why plant rows of 24 lettuces??

aebal

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 08:10:51 »
Thankyou all for your answers, double digging or weedkiller seems to be the general opinion, once again thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal