Author Topic: fluffy fungus (damping off) cure?  (Read 1131 times)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
fluffy fungus (damping off) cure?
« on: February 25, 2009, 15:57:25 »
Recently my youngest son sowed some cress seeds, the instructions said to place the container in a black bag, we did and a few days later when we took them out they were covered in a white fluffy fungus(i think this is the same as damping off ??? ). I was going to throw them away but sitting on the side was a can of Dettol disinfectant spray, i gave them a quick spray. The next day they were clear of the fungus. It's a week later and they are still growing well :)

I did the same with my new heated propagator, when i took the lid of after about 3 days there was the same fluffy fungus, a quick spray and a day later there is none in site.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before or if it would be classed as non-organic but it should be safe as it's used for disinfecting food areas.

Neil

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: fluffy fungus (damping off) cure?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 17:10:42 »
The fluffy fungus is not damping off.

The fungus is a form of verticillium that is quite common when plants are grown without light!

I don't know whats in Dettol but I dare say it is fungicidal hence the disappearance of the fungus.

But I would guess that exposure to the light would have removed it equally as well.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal