Author Topic: multi purpose compost  (Read 9999 times)

misfit

• Half Acre
multi purpose compost
« on: February 26, 2009, 18:34:14 »
hi all, new to the site so firstly, hello  :)

can multi purpose compost be used to grow root vegetables in ??

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
Re: multi purpose compost
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 18:43:39 »
Yes, it certainly can, but its an expensive way of doing it.

Whats wrong with ordinary garden free draining soil ?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 18:43:48 »
Yes! is the simple answer, others may be along to say otherwise or to comment further.

misfit

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 18:48:56 »
thanks for the replies so far, the reason for using compost is that im disabled and have just started building raised beds to try and grow a few veggies, hopefully it will be easier for me to get bags of compost through the house rather than soil as i have no side or rear access  :)

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 18:52:02 »

Hello misfit [ you gotta change your name ]      ;D

First off my belief [ gonna get shot down by the experts here ! ]    ::)

but have been gardening now for ...   mumble ...   of years  and multi purpose compost

to me is a must have  --  unless of course you have a lovely thriving compost heap of your own-

then that is even better !       Root veg need the ease and space to progress downwards,

If you have heavy , stony soil then you have to get it de stoned and composted  .

Have been successful in both my carrot and parsnip sowings and  have had good crops,

no modesty there    ::).

Nice to meet you and look forward to your results,

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 19:12:54 »
Welcome to the site Misfit...
Spent growbags are good for carrots and Parsnips. If you can get a plastic dustbin from somewhere like Wilkinsons and get some holes drilled into it... then any neighbours who grow toms in growbags will be pleased to get rid at the end of the season...  :)

misfit

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 20:49:22 »
would this be ok to use in the beds for all the veggies ??

Reduced peat compost containing Sincro Boost and all essential plant nutrients plus trace elements and a wetting agent. Recommended for seed sowing, potting, houseplants, containers and hanging baskets and feeds for up to 4-6 weeks.

thanks flossy and saddad

ill be sure to keep you posted on how things go  :)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 20:59:30 »
I am growing carrots (about the fourth year) in an old ice box and potatoes in an old chicken feed bin. I intend to follow the progress with pictures on my blogspot.. The carrots have done very well in previous years and as they are up off the ground you cannot get carrot fly. These are being grown in the cheapest general purpose compost in the area.

http://lauriemansersgardenhints.blogspot.com

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 21:02:53 »
Hiya, misfit, welcome to the site  ;D
being disanbled myself, I have raised beds on the allotment(oh built them for me)  ;D
we grow our roots in raised beds, some 12, others 16" tall, means I can sit on the sides to weed, also we fill ours with old leaves them multi purpose on top..lovely straight roots, we cover with fleece to keep the bugs off and the old compost gets used for lettuce after the carrots are out and mulch up the other beds when finished with  :)

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 21:58:28 »
The main problem with using only multi-purpose compost is that its only designed with a growing life of 6 weeks in mind - read the small print on every bag.
It's also generally very light and lacks body. For prolonged growing you need to give it body, generally by adding top soil, and if you can get it well rotted manure (but not if you're growing root crops).
Can't you rope one of your neighbors in to give you a hand?

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 12:09:38 »
Hi Misfit, which part of the UK are you in? There a company we've used a lot that delivers compost in the SW M25 region. http://www.thecompostcentre.co.uk/delivery.html and they might carry it through to the back for you.  It would give the multi a bit more substance.  Topsoil is in smaller bags but is fairly pricey given that one can normally just dig it up  :)

Talking of bag size,  I'm a bit worried about the bag in your picture. 75 litre bags are quite heavy and that one's 100 litre!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 15:22:18 »
You are quite right multipurpose compost only contains food for up to 6 weeks but then ordinary garden soil will need feeding in a container after this time.I use slow release fertilizer mixed very well in the general compost and finds it works well. You could feed with liquid feed but I would suggest at half strength to avoid splitting carrots

The main problem with using only multi-purpose compost is that its only designed with a growing life of 6 weeks in mind - read the small print on every bag.
It's also generally very light and lacks body. For prolonged growing you need to give it body, generally by adding top soil, and if you can get it well rotted manure (but not if you're growing root crops).
Can't you rope one of your neighbors in to give you a hand?

misfit

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 15:34:25 »
thanks for the replies and concerns regarding weight, i use a rollator (zimmer with 4 wheels and a  seat basically) so can use this to carry the bags through the house, so im basically after ease of trasportation  :)

some of the smaller beds i can dig up the soil a bit and mix it in with the compost, so i might just get a few bags of topsoil to mix in the taller bed.

my main concern was wether the compost would affect the taste of the root veggies, so it seems that it wont from the replies  :) ill have a look through the forums and find out which fertilzer to use and take it from there.

oh and im in gloucester, updated my profile now i think  :D

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 17:45:38 »
i just got 3 bags of that j aurther compost for a tenna from makro. gonna mix in my beds improve soil type of stuff.

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 17:56:29 »
For anyone near Heathrow they are selling 2x75 litre bags of Erin compost for £5. 
They have been doing this for several years now but a few weeks ago I noticed a big new sign saying 3 bags for £10 (thats a good mark-up at a time when we are heading into deflation!) but I am guessing customers responded with their feet as they are now back to their original deal.
Also have Polyanthus 79p each or TEN for £3.99...a bargain and really healthy plants.
It's the garden centre right next to the hotel ;) ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal