Author Topic: Loo Rolls v Plastic Pots  (Read 2217 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Loo Rolls v Plastic Pots
« on: February 23, 2009, 14:39:22 »
I sowed 6 peas and 6 broad beans in loo rolls and did the same in 3" plastic pots. The ones in the pots germinated in about 5 or 6 days. The ones in the loo rolls took over 20 days.
Totally puzzled as they were the same variety. has anyone got any clue as to why there was such a difference? Or has anyone else experienced this? I have found that the loo rolls (or rather the compost in them) seem to dry out a lot quicker could that be the problem?
Just curious really
Thanks

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
Re: Loo Rolls v Plastic Pots
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 15:00:37 »
maybe the temperature of the compost in the loo rolls fluctuated more as well? loo rolls are tall and thin while plastic pots are shorter and wider, and plastic is a better insulator than soggy cardboard?? just guessing!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 15:50:09 »
I have saved loads of loo rolls but am going to cut them in half so they aren't so long.  Let you know if it works.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 15:54:08 »
It's almost ceretainly drying out 1066, peas and beans have to absorb a lot of water before they will germinate. If using toilet rolls soak them for a couple of hours first (the peas and beans) then they should germinate quickly...  :)

fishpond

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 16:09:57 »
For peas, beans, I use the cardboard tube out the loo roll and wrap newspaper  around it to make long pots, you do have to keep them well watered (very important for germination and as the plant roots develop----an easily learned skill which you soon aquire) as they do dry out quicker than normal plastic pots.(presumably evaporation through the paper)
Beauty of this is, once the roots start coming through the paper, plant the pot as it is-paper rots away and you do not disturb the roots.
Once in the ground, I give the ground a good soaking.
Hope this helps
Been doing it for nearly 30 years. :)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 16:19:52 »
Thanks for the replies - I think the drying out is the most likely cause, and maybe pre-soaking the peas would give them a better chance in a dry loo roll! The trick I guess is trying to keep them moist but not drowning them! Can't help but think of that line about waving not drowning now  :)
I hadn't thought about wrapping them with paper as well, I'll try that 1 later on with the next batch

Thanks again

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 16:40:14 »
Glad you asked this .  It explains why some of my bean seeds took so long to germinate last year.  I was using loo rolls for the first time.
I think its "drowning not waving " by the way.

fishpond

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 16:46:22 »
Sorry , I should of said --"once the pot has been made, remove the cardboard tube, therefore just leaving a newspaper pot/tube.
Sorry for any confusion.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 18:04:26 »
tomatoada  - I always have been useless at metaphores / sayings!!! In fact I tend to avoid them, that way people have a greater chance of understanding what I'm on about  ;D

And Fishpond - that makes more sense now!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal