Author Topic: Uses for Perlite & Vermiculite?  (Read 4829 times)

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
Uses for Perlite & Vermiculite?
« on: February 23, 2009, 13:35:50 »
Can anyone explain the need for using either Perlite or Vermiculite?

Also, is there any difference between the grades i.e. fine or medium?

Thanks, Luckydog   :)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: Uses for Perlite & Vermiculite?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 14:34:50 »
My view is, that it is another way of getting gardeners to part with their money. I did try some my mother had bought and was unable to discover any advantage.

However, I do not grow things like cactus or tropical rarities. Perhaps some one who does this may say it is an advantage.

There is a person I know who buys every thing available and carefully mixes and blends all sorts. The end results are excellent. Just like mine, using a good quality all purpose compost.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 14:58:26 »
we use it over very fine seed, seems to work  ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 15:03:00 »
I rarely use perlite now.

It is good for plants that require a very open textured compost. Trouble is with open textured composts they tend to dry out quicker, perlite helps to alleviate this problem.

I still use vermiculite but not as a compost improver/texture adjustor I find sand or agricultural grit does equally as well certainly for most veg, and is generally much cheaper.

I use it for seed that require light to germinate because it does a number of things e.g.

1) It lets light through

2) It holds moisture so keeps the surface sown seed from drying out

3) It holds the seed firmly in place once it germinates, rather than lifting the tap root up in the air before it can penetrate the compost.

Regarding quality this depends upon what you are going to use it for.

If it is for a compost aeriator then the medium to rough is best. Fine is used for what I descibed above.

But don't waste you money on the fine you will find that if you seive the medium/rough you will get enough fines to cover all the seeds you are likely wanting to cover!

I hope that helps!

edit; have look at pictures 23-28 here; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Seed%20sowing/Seed%20sowing%20in%20quarter%20trays/seed%20sowing%20in%20quarter%20trays.html
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 15:09:32 by Tee Gee »

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 23:29:16 »
Erm, I use a 50/50mix of multipurpose compost/vermiculite for rooting fuchsia cuttings and find it very successful.  I also use the same mix for million bell/surfinia petunias.

valmarg

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 01:18:00 »
Erm, I use a 50/50mix of multipurpose compost/vermiculite for rooting fuchsia cuttings and find it very successful.  I also use the same mix for million bell/surfinia petunias.

valmarg

I use a 50/25/25 mix of multipurpose compost/grit/vermiculite/  for rooting fuchsia cuttings.

I use fine vermiculite over multipurpose in seed trays to stop it forming a 'crust' (which hinders water penetration and hinders fragile seedlings from seeing light.)
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 07:02:25 »
I use Perlite mixed with multi purpost compost for rooting cuttings of Pinks and Penstemons - I find they root better in this mix than in a sharp sand / multi purpose compost mix which I used previously.   I also use Vermiculite to cover small seeds

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 09:18:08 »
I use a 50/50 mixture of perlite and general purpose compost to root most cuttings. I tried a tray with half this mixture and half using sand in place of purlite, much better roots with perlite. I use vermiculite for twin scaling daffodil bulbs.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 21:06:16 »
I use a 60/20/20 mix of compost/perlite/vermiculite for sowing seeds. For rooting fuschia cuttings I use foam oasis - make it wet poke the cutting directly into the oasis. When rooted cut the 1/2" square cube of rooted cutting out the oasis and plant in pot. No root disturbance, no trauma.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal