Author Topic: Green manure  (Read 1194 times)

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
Green manure
« on: March 18, 2009, 16:23:28 »
Hello, I have dug over 2/3 of my new allotment and was going to black plastic the rest but due to conflicting opinions gathered here on a previous post I was wondering if there was a green man ure I could plant now which would cover and supress the majority then I could mulch just the bramble stub section? Thanks!! :D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Green manure
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 16:29:18 »
Phacalia... or Tares would be my choice. Buckwheat is supposed to be good but I never have any joy with it.. :)

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 16:31:01 »
If you havent dug it over and cleared it then I dont think youd get the green manure to grow.  It still requires a seedbed in order to get going and will be outflanked by the more pernicious weeds.

Once youve got areas clear and they are fallow then green manure is great - Pjhacelia is my favourite.
Best laid plans and all that

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 23:28:29 »
Agree with Ted,
Mustard is my choice. Dig it in BEFORE it flowers!
 ;D
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 23:45:21 »
If I've read the post correctly Reddyteddy has done most of it and is getting fed up and dosn't feel ready to grow anything this year.

reddyreddy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 08:15:10 »
Hello, yes I have done most of it and the reason I want to green manure/cover the remaining 1/3 is that this is my first year - (actually my first month!) and I dont want to go steaming ahead and do the whole plot in case I cannot mantain its upkeep.

I thought the first 2/3 (it is a full 10 rod plot) would be enough for me to see if the one hour three times a week plus weekends that I have spare is enough to keep it up, I can't see the point in blindly digging the whole plot if 6 months down the road I can't keep on top of the weeding, etc! I have PSB, onions, peas, garlic in already and pots are chitting, and all manner of yummies are in the greenhouse so I am certainly intending to grow lots and nowhere near fed up - far from it! Thanks for the advice people!  ;)

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 08:45:05 »
You are very wise to take it steadily! A full 10-rod plot is a big undertaking.

In my experience, tares are probably best for suppressing weeds. Phacelia looks wonderful if you allow it to flower and is a great bee-attractor, but you should really dig it in a month or two after sowing if you want it to act as a green manure.
Keep Calm and Carry On

reddyreddy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 11:33:52 »
Thanks Hopalong, yes, trying to take it steady!

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 11:45:16 »
If I've read the post correctly Reddyteddy has done most of it and is getting fed up and dosn't feel ready to grow anything this year.

No I think youre at cross purposes - the remaining 1/3 rd hasnt been cleared and is not required for this year.
Best laid plans and all that

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal