Author Topic: Growing  (Read 923 times)

Nat J

• Not So New ...
Growing
« on: February 21, 2009, 19:49:01 »
Hi everyone,I'm new to this site and it is my first year on my allotment just wondered if anybody has got any tips on when i can start planting things i have dug over all my plots. But I'm a little unsure of when things need to be planted out and can any seeds be planted straight out into the ground yet ?   :-\

Nat J

• Not So New ...
Re: Growing
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 20:19:55 »
Is there anybody that could give me some advise please

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 20:28:44 »
Hi nat, we are fairly new too - I would have a look at TeeGee's website its like the bible in our house  ;D  http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Indexes/index.htm.

We have just planted some shallots, garlic but are holding off on some sowing for a couple of more weeks. Buy some potatoes and chit them at home. I am sure there will be some more experienced posters adding some helpful pointers soon.... watch this space  ;)

Nat J

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 20:36:25 »
Thanks just had a look on that link it's really helpful :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 20:46:12 »
Hi nat, and welcome to A4a. I'd second the advice to look at TeeGee's site, although timings also depend whereabouts you are- if you're in the sunny south you may be able to sow sooner.

Also try searching the site under the particular crops you want to grow- or ask about individual plants- I find specific questions get more answers because people don't always have time to write longer answers!

spudsmummy

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 21:09:52 »
hi there welcome to the site.
i have only had my allotment for 6 weeks but this site is gr8.
i love Tee Gee's website, is so easy to understand. also the WIKI at the top of the page has some really good info.

:D
6.5 rod plot in southampton, just me and my 2yr old son, hehe       

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 21:13:00 »
Hiya, nat, welcome to a4a  ;D
if you want fruit on your plot, get it in now, all the shops, aldi, lidl, netto, wilkinsons etc have fruit trees and bushes in now..have a look on bargain thread, tells you all about them  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal