Author Topic: Cheap bird feeding station at ALDI  (Read 8277 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Cheap bird feeding station at ALDI
« on: February 20, 2009, 20:05:58 »
...metal bird feeding station, dish for seeds, dish for water +3 metal feeder hooks - £11.19p each... 8)

I bought one for me today & I'm buying another three on Sunday. So that's 3 Christmas prezzies sorted, then 8)

I'll also be buying 3 twin-packs of fatball snax feeders @ £4.18p per pack to go with them. The feeders are red. I like red  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Cheap bird feeding station at ALDI
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 20:09:10 »
Hmmmph, that wasn't on the online preview. Hope there's some left on Sunday,brill idea for gifts Hyacinth, thanks for the tip. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 20:16:42 »
I didn't see it online either....couldn't believe the low price when I saw them in the shop earlier in the week, so checked online & in the pamphlet Nada. And then I went back into ALDI today and yep! £11.19. Hope I can get the others I want on Sunday - I bought my existing (more spensive :o) one as a Christmas prezzie to myself, Xmas just gone, which gave me the idea of prezzies. Reckon I'm on to a winna here 8)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 16:09:11 »
An update on the feeders....first one assembled and in situ and Lordy me! Spot the difference between that and the one further up the garden which cost £x more?  Well, no difference in sturdiness, hooks, looks etc. for me & I don't think the birdies'll notice a difference either ;D

SO....went back to ALDIs & bought another FIVE this morning  ::)

Two are for a client...one for her garden, one for a Christmas prezzie from her to her S-IL 8) + the other three for me for prezzies...

ALDI's Bournbrook, Birmingham, now only have 4 left in stock, so if you live round there & want one, you'd better not plan a lie-in tomorrow morning - just in case I remember I've got more than 3 friends,  like.. ::)

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 16:25:38 »
Think I'll have to re-position the bird-bath/water dish on the one I got too...the dirty birds keep making a mess, lots of seeds & other bits....have to put it completely out of the range of the feeders I've strung up.  Love to see them out the kitchen window, regardless of the mess they leave.  In fact, now that I'm warming up to the topic of bird mess, they throw about an awful lot of bird seed, don't they?  I've been thinking of obtaining a HUGE saucer type of thing to place under the dropping area--threaded, somehow, up the pole--could recycle the spilled seed AND stop them seeding on the soil below....now, if I could just find such a thingy. Can't leave well enough alone, I suppose.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 17:21:42 »
Wot about a redundant plastic dustbin lid Vitaw? You could poke a hole through the middle and when you've positioned it, you could bind the pole underneath so the lid stays in place.(unless it's at the bottom of the pole anyway) ;D
We haven't met before, so welcome from me. ;D

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 17:32:51 »
Hi Emaggie--so nice of you to comment and thanks for your welcome! Yes, I considered such a bin lid--ones I've seen around are quite heavy & may be difficult to keep in place, but yes, that's the general idea; would be nice if I could find/jig up something lightweight, circular & transparent, (so I still see the adjacent garden area from my window), but I could forfeit the see-through aspect for the other practicalities.....such a dilemma........I'm on the scrounge.  Thanks again.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 12:33:27 »
Hello to you from me :)

Inventive lot here, aren't we? and  eMaggie's suggestion is a good one...might, and prolly will?, spark off ideas for you look at Things in a different light, now you know what will work. Good looking!

I SO agree about the seed mess and the resultant seeding below when you use one of those seed hopper things, which seems to make it nigh-impossible to grow stuff you want up to the pole without having to spend more time than you want painstakingly pulling seedlings?

I'm such a novice here....my solution is to only hang fatball/peanut holders on the station, and fill ground-based dishes of seeds for the ground feeders (or whoever else wants to live the low-life  ;D)

BUT the seed trays which come with the feeding stations have an ample enough flat seed tray, so no spillage from them - yet!

Lishka

thespade08

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 12:45:14 »
...metal bird feeding station, dish for seeds, dish for water +3 metal feeder hooks - £11.19p each... 8)

I bought one for me today & I'm buying another three on Sunday. So that's 3 Christmas prezzies sorted, then 8)

I'll also be buying 3 twin-packs of fatball snax feeders @ £4.18p per pack to go with them. The feeders are red. I like red  ;D

You can get basically the same model in wilko,s for £9.99!!
I came,isaw,I ran

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 16:35:15 »

You can get basically the same model in wilko,s for £9.99!!

WOW!! :o Great info, spade. 8) I really think they're smashing presents...

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 14:03:51 »
Pic would be good (of the feeders) maybe ?

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 20:20:48 »
If Wilco's feeders are anything like their arches they will buckle under the weight of bird feed. ::) ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 21:30:19 »
Aldi's feeder survived the plump pigeon test this arvers, maggie - big, fat, heavy thing perched on the seed tray - and the station's still standing 8) ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 21:59:47 »
How was the pigeon pie Lish? ;D

thespade08

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 22:23:38 »
If Wilco's feeders are anything like their arches they will buckle under the weight of bird feed. ::) ;D
[/quote

Nothing like their arches  :o, they are as strong as the aldi one,i have one in my garden from wilko,s,and has passed the pigeon test ;D ;D ;D
I came,isaw,I ran

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal