Author Topic: Leggy seedlings  (Read 5290 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Leggy seedlings
« on: February 19, 2009, 16:51:16 »
I sowed some tomatoes last week and it's been so dull that they've really stretched towards the light and grown very leggy. I know I can plant them deeper when I transplant, just wonder if anyone knows whether they tend to be weaker if you do that than if they grow "properly" from the start? If so I might just start again with new seed.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: Leggy seedlings
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 17:15:27 »
There is loads of time to sow small seed.

if I were you I would start again.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 17:15:39 »
I sowed some tomatoes last week and it's been so dull that they've really stretched towards the light and grown very leggy. I know I can plant them deeper when I transplant, just wonder if anyone knows whether they tend to be weaker if you do that than if they grow "properly" from the start? If so I might just start again with new seed.

You might get lucky but in most cases they never recover properly - 1'd sow again if I were you - there is still loads of time.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 17:28:33 »
Once they have true leaves they can be "buried" upto the seed leaves... but I haven't sown mine yet so I'd say start again. The biggest problem with "leggy" seedlings is the "stem" gets easily damaged...  :-\

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 17:47:44 »
checked my onions today that have gone really leggy and noticed quite a lot of them have damaged stems. (doh)looks like im startin again.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 17:55:14 »
Onions don't really get leggy... as it is leaf not stem... how are they damaged? Check for minislugs... if they are just all twisty and all over the place that's OK they'll grow out of it...  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 18:00:05 »
All my cauli AYR got too leggy, so I've sowed again.  :'(      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 18:52:25 »
quite a lot of them have damaged stems.

What do you mean 'damaged'?

Onions go through a stage called the 'crook' stage where the top of the stem/leaves naturally bend over , could it be this ?

See pics 24-28 here;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Onions/Onion-Seed%20sowing/onion-seed%20sowing.html

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 18:56:32 »
they have bent half way up the stem where I've messed and interfeared with them oh and might have swear ed at them to!

james1

• Half Acre
  • Huyton
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 19:00:26 »
simmo i think thats the norm ... ::)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 08:46:20 »
Perhaps we're all starting too early?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 11:09:59 »
Think I'll start again with the ones where I've got plenty of seeds, butmy Sun Cherry only had 6 seeds in the packet so they will have to struggle on!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 18:14:54 »
I always transplant my toms as low down in the pot as I can go, but you are extremely early so unless there's some special reason, I should start again.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 07:18:36 »
I've managed to get leggy tomatoes far too often for exactly the reasons you quote - thing is, nothing recovers like a tomato.
If I were you I'd give them as much light as possible, try to put them in a cooler spot and when it comes to planting out time if they are still overly tall bury them as deep as you can.
You can go beyond the seed leaves, in fact as long as you have something above ground, as deep as you like. If that's not possible, you can dig a small trench for them and bury the stem horizontally (as long as it is sloping slightly upwards towards the top of the plant).

All those little hairs along the stem will develop into roots, you'll be amazed how quickly they recover and thicken up.

:) :)

BTW, are they going into pots or the ground?
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 08:18:22 »
If you are having this problem make yourself a 'light box' get a box and cut the front into a slope like a coldframe shape, line the inside of the box with silver foil (shiney side out) and put in the lightest place you have indoors or in the greenhouse, this will reflect much more light onto the plants  :)

amphibian

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 21:00:10 »
If you are having this problem make yourself a 'light box' get a box and cut the front into a slope like a coldframe shape, line the inside of the box with silver foil (shiney side out) and put in the lightest place you have indoors or in the greenhouse, this will reflect much more light onto the plants  :)

White actually reflects more light back than a reflective surface, sounds daft, I know, but it's true.

A light box is a very good idea.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal