Author Topic: New Plot - please help  (Read 3536 times)

Whizzy223

New Plot - please help
« on: February 18, 2009, 18:29:52 »
Hi there

I have just got my first ever allotment & am so excited.  Currently it has grass on it & manure.

The allotment lady has advised that they need to spray the grass to kill off the weeds in approx end of march/early April & then 2/3 weeks after that then we can rotivate it.

She has suggested I can hand a dig patch.

Will I miss my earlies if I wait?  I was planning to do raised beds so could I do dig enough space for two raised beds.

Any suggestions etc?

Ta

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: New Plot - please help
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 18:33:25 »
Hiya, whizzie, welcome to a4a.  ;D
there are a few discussions on here going at the moment, lots of different ideas about what to do  :)
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,49123.0.html
hope the link works  ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 18:43:39 »
Hi Whizzy and congrats on the new plot!
Don't know where you are but on my plot which is clay based it is still very wet and water logged in parts and means that digging is still pretty much off-limits for me at the mo. Frustrating as I want to start preparing the beds for the spuds as well. But I don't see why you can't make a start now - besides it feels good to make a start  :)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 20:28:22 »
Hello Whizzy and welcome to A4A from me too.

Congratulations on getting a lottie. Hope you didn't have to wait long.

There are many things you can be doing while you're waiting to get digging.

Measure and plan your plot. Mark out where you want your paths, beds, shed, greenhouse, sitting area and of course compost bins.

Perhaps start collectiing bits and pieces...Ask on FREECYCLE look around your home/garage, ask friends/neighbours...
Oh skips are another place to look for freebies (ask permission first  :o). Old glass doors to make lids for cold frames.

Tools, Wood for making Raised Beds/ Compost Bays.
String, Screws and Nails, Bamboo Canes, Bucket, Wheelbarrow.
Find a good source of well rotted manure and start bringing in bags.
Shred newspapers
Collect Loo Roll Tubes/ ask friends and neighbours to save for you also. Loo Roll Tubes are great for planting up peas and beans. (When it's time, plant the entire thing)
Meat Trays (with holes made in the base) make good seed trays, and they fit just right on window sills  ;)

Thompson & Morgan also have a newsletter, plus they have a half price seed sale in May...Yes still plenty of time to grow stuff from May  :D

Good Luck
Lauren

P.S... Oh I always say this......Take lots of photos, so you can chart your progress  ;D

If you click on the link below you can view my lottie journey, plus make a blog of your own also

http://laurenscostalottie.blogspot.com
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 20:46:51 »
Welcome to the site Whizzy...
 ;D

zekethefrog

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 21:10:59 »
Hi Whizzy

Dig and weed
then dig
and weed
and dig
and so on...
Have fun!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 17:32:28 »
Welcome to the site Whizzy. You dont have to have the plot sprayed, You will find that even after spraying if you don't dig it a.s.p. the weeds will be back. If you must spray then just spray the area you want to dig and work your way down the plot. This is the conclusion I have come to after watching others and the way they go about it. Also doing it a bit at a time will be less daunting for you. Plant as you go and this will spur you on. Which ever way you decide to do it. Enjoy your plot.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 18:21:46 »
Hi and welcome, I wouldn't spray it at all, strim down to ground level and skim the top off and dig and pull out what roots you can, if your planting spuds don't be too fussy you'll pull more roots when your trench digging for the spuds. Cover what your not digging and do a bit at a time.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 18:27:50 »
i agree with corneykev just strim it down dig what you can move down the plot as you go weeds are the only thing that grows in ubundant in the first year so dont be put off looking at other plot holders looking great and wanting yours to look like theres will take time its about enjoying what we grow rome wasnt built in a day 

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 19:01:38 »
rome wasnt built in a day 
No. but some of it was!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 19:04:29 »
that will be the roads out side my house then as they were built in a day lol :D

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 19:30:11 »
Hows about this.....".LAZYMANS DIGGING "  not a bad idea if you want to get your spuds in.

Strim back the top of the grass low as possible,  splitlock the top 3 or 4 inches inches and put the splitlock turfs to one side, dig out your trench picking out as many weeds as possible. Then put your spuds and manure in as for planting and then the soil back into the trench weeding as you go, Finlay put the splitlock turfs on the top grass down..

When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 19:37:50 »

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 21:09:09 »
Welcome and good advice given all round so just remember to enjoy it.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=91218&id=664273367&l=350ae

Flunky i really like how you turned bent corragated galvanised sheets into compost bins, very inventive :)

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 08:23:59 »
I did not bend them. They are a sort of shelter. they come in halves and you bolt them at the top. These were on an old abandoned plot. I was going to use them as somewhere to secure my rotivator under. But i didnt fancy leaving it down there. So I up-ended them and now use them for a composter. I move the contents from one to the other.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 10:23:21 »
I did not bend them. They are a sort of shelter. they come in halves and you bolt them at the top. These were on an old abandoned plot. I was going to use them as somewhere to secure my rotivator under. But i didnt fancy leaving it down there. So I up-ended them and now use them for a composter. I move the contents from one to the other.

its still a good idea :) i like it :D

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 10:46:48 »
They are sections of "Anderson" Shelters used in gardens during WW2 as some protection against flying debris during air raids.  :)

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 12:10:37 »
I thought that. But wasnt the anderson shelter buried ? were these used above ground for not so "heavy" protection ?

There are quite a few lying around on old plots. Everyone was moved for them to sell the land but they havent been able to. These were left behind. I asked a guy a know whose they were and he found out and asked for me. Picked them on his tractor they are very heavy in one lump so had to cut the bolts through and separate them. Handy though.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 12:45:10 »
I thought that. But wasnt the anderson shelter buried ? were these used above ground for not so "heavy" protection ?
I think they varied - I had 1 in a garden in London which was half buried - loved it tho!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 13:32:30 »
They were set about 3' into the ground and the excavated soil went over the top for extra protection... once inside you were safe from virtually everything except a direct hit.... " Waiting for the All-Clear" has a charming description of the results of that....  :'(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal