Author Topic: Seeds and plug plants or both  (Read 1955 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Seeds and plug plants or both
« on: March 03, 2014, 16:54:15 »
Was thinking that I would buy plug plants this year as with all the wet weather and cold haven't planted any seeds and am getting a bit lazy.  Had a look at the prices on the internet and decided seeds are best.  Sometimes get some good plants at fetes later in the year.  Wish the weather would improve.  Morrisons had some seed trays for 75p and plastic covers for £1 which I was tempted to buy, but have seed trays that need washing so will wait for some warmer weather. Roll on summer.  :sunny: :sunny:

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Seeds and plug plants or both
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 17:08:40 »
I bought some trailing lobelia plug plants at Aldi last week - £1.99 for 40. 
I've potted them on and they look okay
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 17:27:46 »
Did that last year, squash and they were fine. We've bought living lettuce from Lidl although lots of other places sell them, they're in a trough inside and doing well. Hope you get your inspiration back  :happy7:

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 09:19:26 »
Last year I just couldn't get the seedlings going. This year with the half lot, hope I can spend more time on them (once everything warms up a little!). I admit that only once have I managed to grow leeks from seed, the other years I had to buy in baby leek plants, and last year I did get a good winter crop of Brussel sprouts and smooth cabbage from plug plants... they are good when you have a disaster and your seedlings are unusable, methinks.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 10:39:20 »
One year I decided not to buy some brassica plants from a farm shop because they were leggy and yellowing. A couple of months later I was admiring my neighbours huge glossy brassicas, and it turned out he had bought those very seedlings.....so I won't turn my nose up next time.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 10:52:48 »
Last year was a bit of a nightmare all round. I never worry about leggy brassicas; just plant them deep and they'll be fine.

Andrew90

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 09:34:37 »
A few of my friends have tried out Babyplants, haven't used them personally though.

Maybe your local garden centre will stock them?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal