Author Topic: Best tomato seeds?  (Read 2054 times)

mpdjulie

• Acre
Best tomato seeds?
« on: February 18, 2009, 21:26:40 »
Last year I tried growing alicante, gardener's delight and marmande tomatoes.  The plants grew very well, but I got one marmande tomato, 6 gardener's delight and no alicante.  I don't know where I went wrong, as far as I know I didn't.  Can anyone suggest a variety that is a good cropper?  I had the same problem the year before last with the gardener's delight as well.
Your answers are much appreciated. :)

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Best tomato seeds?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 21:37:18 »
Did you take the side shoots out?

valmarg

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 21:41:09 »
If you like small cherrytype Sungold take some beating, Slightly bigger and i like Golden sunrise (yellow)and Tigerella (stripey) I've never had much success with G delight

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 21:42:40 »
Did you take the side shoots out?

valmarg

Thats the first question

What did you grow them in pots or ground.
What did you feed them on.
What compost/growbag

Because all those tomatoes are good croppers. so to get better results this year you realy need to tell us what you did.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 09:01:54 »
It sounds like I may have gone wrong, I didn't know I had to do anything with shoots!  Basically I sowed them in small pots and when they were about 3inches tall with about 4 true leaves I repotted them into larger pots about a foot high and wide, a plant a pot.  I used tomato feed once a week and kept them in my greenhouse.  I staked them when they got about a foot tall.  Thats all I did with them really apart from watering them.  I am a novice at this so please noone get angry with my ignorance to tomato growing!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 09:23:21 »
Try again, but take out the side shoots regulalry, unless it is a "Bush" or determinate variety... it will say on the packet. After about 6 weeks in compost a weekly feed with tomorite will help. If you don't take out the side shoots the plant will keep producing leaves not flowers. Pinch the top of the plant out when it gets tall enough anything up to 6'- depsnds on your canes. Good Luck this time...  :)

Mowhay

• Quarter Acre
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 09:44:13 »
mpdjulie, the side shoots grow where a leaf joins the main stem as if the plant was trying to grow another branch, the flowers will benefit from the plant being gently shaken to distribute the pollen or spraying with a very fine mist of water which I do on an evening after the heat of the day has gone ( I wish ?). This link may help

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0600/tomatoes.asp

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 10:06:35 »
Also try them in deeper pots, you can get some great ones from Asda, they have the bunches of flowers for sale in them and if you ask you can have some, just put some holes in the base :)
Beefsteak do take longer to develope my favorites are, tigerella, Ferline, gardeners delight and cristal.
Sow early and you will get fruit earlier, dont let the plants get leggy they need light once they germinate.
Watch out for whitefly !! i hang the yellow traps up for them, brush past the plants daily.
Good luck and dont give in :)

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 10:10:11 »
I was going to say exactly what Mowhay said. There's very few pollinators in a greenhouse so every time I go into mine I tap the stakes the tomatoes are tied to a few times. This vibrates the plants and helps distribute the pollen.

There was a thread on the INEBG forum a year or two ago where someone had a very similar question. Turns out they were removing the flower trusses instead of the side shoots.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 11:39:33 »
Possibly too small a pot has been used, and a lack of nutrient / water holding ability in the available compost.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:41:29 by tonybloke »
You couldn't make it up!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 14:57:23 »
I think a 1ft diameter pot 1 ft high holds around 20 litres?

If so that should be enough for one tomato plant provided you water regularly and feed from six weeks after planting onwards. (Growbags are between 30 and 50 litres and usually support two plants).

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 17:45:34 »
We grow Shirley. They are very reliable and great flavour.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 18:20:39 »
i have noticed by some of these threads people mentioning the need to feed after 6 weeks growth i was under the impresion only feed tomatos once the first truss had set as otherwise it just produces too many leaves and thus strangling the air flow to the plant

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 08:48:16 »
I should have said "about 6 weeks"   :)

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 12:51:56 »
Thanks everybody for your replies.  I now know where I went wrong, not pruning side shoots!!  Looked on youtube for a demo and hopefully this year I shall have toms.  I doubt it was anything to do with the variety just me.
Thanks again!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal