Author Topic: a gate built within a hedge?  (Read 1410 times)

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
a gate built within a hedge?
« on: February 15, 2009, 16:02:55 »
Hello all--yet another problem/challenge in the lottie: I cannot operate the ramshackle 'gate' in my 'shared' plot; it takes more arm strength than I have to wrestle with the chain around the near falling down posts.....SO...I suggested to hubby (who is ill & not involved physically in the allotment) that possibly a new gate (just for me) could somehow be placed further down the hedge & built so that Hercules doesn't need to be on hand to get in/out of the plot.  Of course, I have no carpentry/construction skills for the task, but lots of ideas.  How does one carve out a piece of the hedge (suppose it's a matter of chopping through the jungle, that I could do) to create a gap & then Bob the Builder needs to be found to actually construct the gate with appropriate 'normal' posts...oh if I had my time over again, I'd learn all about these things.  Thinking of asking the folks at the lottie association for some help....I'd even consider paying them for their labours.  They are already suppose to be 'helping' get a middle separation fence down the middle of the double 'shared' plot, but I'm not convinced that's ever going to happen.  Any strategies that have worked for you in similar situations, please and thanks.....?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: a gate built within a hedge?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 16:28:41 »
ask, you never know, might be a knight in shining armour hanging around..we have lots of good people on our plots, all ready to give a hand  :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 16:50:38 »
A couple of 4inch square posts, a couple of 'tee' hinges, and a pallet? ;)
You couldn't make it up!

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 20:09:07 »
tonybloke--yup, that materials list sounds simple, logical and dare I say--obvious, however, it is a place to begin, and puts me farther ahead than I was.  I can manage to source those things for sure--that's the easy part.  Wish me luck on the next part--the labour. So, thank you for the kick-start.

Natsb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 20:47:45 »
How sturdy does the gate have to be?

If its just for 'effect', can you make it out of pvc piping using push fittings?. its all plastic so you could do it yourself.

I can explain the idea more (with an attempt at a drawing) if it might help?

Nats

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 21:25:58 »
The gate has to be strong enough to keep out trespassers, feral children, asbo kinds in our neighbourhood.  The gate/fence is parallel to/right on the public footpath, unfortunately, not ensconced within the whole allotment property itself.  It will be my entrance/exit so needs to be strong, secure, lockable, but usable.  It's a wonder the existing mess of a gate hasn't been pushed in/over by anyone unauthorised to enter the plot.  Thanks for your ideas, though, I know it can be as simple or complicated as it can be, but as long as it's usable and secure I'll be happy. 

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 00:50:55 »
Why not just get Bob the Builder to fix the gate that is there already?

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 10:18:07 »
Eristic--if I could even find a Bob the Builder, I wouldn't put his skills/time to waste on the present gate....once I get the fence put in up the middle of the 2 plots, the gate will end up being on the side belonging to the other plot holder (did I mention we 'share' a double site?) Hubby measured the half-way point & showed those in charge in prep for the fence work, but they 'suggested' we don't upset the other guy by changing things too much! We have a history, this guy & me.  See my other posts for the boring saga, if you're interested. Plus, the present gate is a piece of crap, patched up, falling apart, unduly heavy & doing anything with this revered gate would get this guy going (again)--he's beyond conversation & logic. Joys of shared lotties. Thanks for the interest in my little dilemma......

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 19:39:04 »
A couple of 4inch square posts, a couple of 'tee' hinges, and a pallet? ;)

Agreed.
For securing the post use the pointed Met post fixings(i think thats what they are called) and hammer one into the ground and insert the post, then attach the pallet or gate, leave a small gap (about 1-2cm) and fix the other post.

Neil

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 11:23:37 »
Thanks, Neil & Tonybloke, for your gate info re materials & methods.  I'm getting closer to actually trying to do it myself--if I understand what's involved, get the materials, surely it's possible.  Hope brute strength isn't a requirement.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal