Author Topic: update  (Read 2180 times)

simmo116

• Acre
update
« on: February 14, 2009, 15:43:34 »
finally managed to get some timber down the lotti. and get some garlic in. dont know why image is on its side....??? got this week off so plan to get all the beds raised up i cant wait to see the allotment in full bloom only managed muddy and gloomy up to yet ;D

for some reason image is right way up now...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 15:46:48 by simmo116 »

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: update
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 16:07:29 »
Looking good Simmo, out of interest what is the measurement between the beds its hard to tell in a photo.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 16:12:58 »
looking really good, bet you can't wait to see it all planted up  ;D

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 16:16:40 »
thanx cornykev my beds are about 18 inches apart. as i only have half a plot i really want to maximise on space. i know its more work but i just bucket my muck about the place.

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 15:03:54 »
Simmo you mention that you have half a plot--how does that work for you?  I have half a plot & someone else has the other half--do dividing line/marker, etc. which has led to problems. How do you manage with your 'shared' allotment plot? Any suggestions for me on 'getting along'--mind you the guy on the other half is, unfortunately, a nitwit. Thanks.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 17:27:04 »
hi vitaw. i share a plot with a young french lady(teacher i think) ive had the plot since november and ive maybe seen her half a dozen times. the day we were given the plot i sugested i have the plot nearest the slab path as i have a two year old and there were no problems.i even made a joke about me not needing to grow any garlic not to mention her irish boyfriend and the potatoe jokes. but were ok up to yet.
with regards to your nit wit of a neighbour just be plain about boundries this is my half that is yours.mark it out together with a line tape so there is no  (oh youve got the bigger end. or you could all ways do what i do with my 2 kids get one to divide and one to chose. i plan to mark my boundary with fruit bushes cordened into a screen

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 19:14:03 »
or you could all ways do what i do with my 2 kids get one to divide and one to chose.

That reminds me of sharing mars bars with my sister and brother as a kid. It was either cut or choose! LOL

Well done on your progress. Your raised beds look similar to ours. The great thing is that you have done the really hard work now so you have lots of time to be planting come spring.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 21:04:28 »
y suggestions for me on 'getting along'--mind you the guy on the other half is, unfortunately, a nitwit. Thanks.

Violence, it's the only way  ::)

Seriously, the path between mine and my neighbours plot was 3 foot on my side so with the width of the path I'd lost 4 foot off my plot. He had to give his plot up last year so, before anyone new took the plot on I got my tape out, measured what my plot should have been and marked it out with old canes and some string.

As soon as I got the allotment manger to check and OK my measurements, I extended all my existing beds right up to the boundary string. This of course leaves the new chap with no path which by rights, if he wants one he should put it on his plot. At the moment he's using the path between my two plots. I don't mind as long as he don't walk on my beds... As soon as he does I'll have to implement paragraph 1, clause 1 as stated above  :)
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 09:38:25 »
Simmo-what a reasonably sounding arrangement/neighbour you have...lucky you.  I think I inherited a plot that everyone else knew would be troublesome.  The nitwit's section is in fact more than half & hubby used orange spray paint (fluorescent) to indicate how far over he was, on our side, so to speak.  It's been like that for years apparently, his friend used to have our section so it apparently didn't matter between them. The Association suggested we put in a fence up the so-called middle, but is gutless about splitting it accurately as we indicated in case it upsets nitwit. He's got seniority I suppose. The other posting about 'violence being the only way' is very tempting..... :)

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 10:06:19 »
. The Association suggested we put in a fence up the so-called middle, but is gutless about splitting it accurately as we indicated in case it upsets nitwit. He's got seniority I suppose. The other posting about 'violence being the only way' is very tempting..... :)

I was only joking about the violence!

However I would suggest to your association that if you only have a third of a plot, and because of their reluctance to rectify the situation, then you only pay for a third of a plot.

In the mean time, if talking to him amicably doesn't work, then I'd certainly put some type of fence up, exactly in the middle and when he complains just refer him to the association indicating that this was their suggestion. That way they'll have to get involved.

Good luck with it.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 10:27:52 »
Thanks Tony--most reasonable and that's actually my plan, pending acquisition of a Bob the Builder type person.  The Assoc. people said they'd help me with the fencing job; got lots of wood left on the site but they don't like the idea of wood, they suggest that lovely orange plastic weave stuff..... & they are not too good at carrying through on their suggestions/ideas of help anyhow.  I think I'll go ahead and put in the fence & then take cover.  The guy's a loonie, so I'll have to make sure someone else is with me when doing the job, as he will react.  Isn't allotment life supposed to be relaxing, hard work & challenging yes, and satisfying.....? And of course I appreciate your sense of humor re the violence.........

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 11:08:22 »
Yes it is supposed to be fun and relaxing and it won't ever be that way if there is any animosity between neighbours. That's why I suggest you try to resolve it amicably.

I'm very lucky with the people around me, they're a great bunch, even been lucky with all the newbies that have arrived around me.

The young chap (younger than me anyway) directly next to me, when I first met him gave me the impression he was a lazy, yobbo, layabout, alcoholic junky.  Nothing could be further from the truth. He is unemployed, lives alone, always takes a 6 pack to his plot but is certainly not a junkie. In fact he spends most of his time at his plot to get away from the junkies that live in the flats around him and works as a volunteer at the local homeless hostel.

Thing is, he's into all these government conspiracy theories, UFO's, alien abduction, big brother and all that. He watches films like ZietGuiest and won't use a mobile phone in case he's being tracked. I dread meeting him at the plot because I have a few theories of my own and quite often waste a whole day sitting talking and arguing about it all. I did think about getting one of those green blow up aliens to put in his shed window :)

So the moral, if there is a moral is, try to sort it out as freindly as possible. You never know, he may turn out not to be such a thingy. You don't want to get into the situation where you dread going to your plot in case he's there. you'll end up getting no fun out of your plot, it'll slowly get neglected and you'll end up giving it up and that way he's won.

Just a little afterthought, are there no plots elsewhere on the site that you could swap to?

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 11:54:48 »
Right you are, Tony, amicably is always best & I assure you that's been tried.  I'm hoping time will resolve the situation, a dividing fence & me wearing earphones when I'm at the lottie not to hear his rants. Another plot was offered last year when the incident occurred that began all this fuss but am waiting for some offered help by the Assoc. re fencing...that will at least give me some safeguard from him. It's hard to describe all the elements of this saga, but I'm hopeful things will work out (some days I feel optimistic about this--especially when the sun shines).  Thanks for your input.  I don't feel like I'm handling this all by myself when I get some feedback.  Thanks again.

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 11:59:27 »
Apologies to Simmo for usurping your Update thread re your plot.  I just happened to note some elements that came up in the discussion that might be of assistance to my situation and got carried away.  Thanks for your understanding and continued good luck on your fine looking plot. 

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 10:02:19 »
thats ok im allways hijacking threads.......
well going to go back down the plot today try and finish off my beds. and its my birthday!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 10:15:01 »
thats ok im allways hijacking threads.......
well going to go back down the plot today try and finish off my beds. and its my birthday!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Happy birthday Simmo. Nothing better than spending your birthday doing something (or someone) you love :)
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 10:19:37 »
Happy birthday  simmo116  ;D

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 10:30:35 »
Many happy returns of the day to you, Simmo.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 10:43:44 »
thanks guys...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 11:34:35 »
Happy Birthday Simmo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal