Author Topic: How do you cope with a holiday?  (Read 1781 times)

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
How do you cope with a holiday?
« on: July 08, 2009, 20:19:51 »
Once again I find myself in Nice, beautiful weather, and very relaxing if I were not fretting about my plot.

Just before I left at the weekend the plot was perfect, having been judged in the "Best plot in Liverpool" competition - result awaited.

There was not a single weed and all the plants were in perfect codition.

I have left a neighbouring plotholder to water, and a family friend to crop the produce and keep a check on the waterer.

Last year was a disaster, with neither party doing the job they were required to do. This year I have written it all down!

Allotments and summer holidays do not go together.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: How do you cope with a holiday?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 20:21:49 »
Once again I find myself in Nice, beautiful weather, and very relaxing if I were not fretting about my plot.Just before I left at the weekend the plot was perfect, having been judged in the "Best plot in Liverpool" competition - result awaited.There was not a single weed and all the plants were in perfect codition.I have left a neighbouring plotholder to water, and a family friend to crop the produce and keep a check on the waterer.
Last year was a disaster, with neither party doing the job they were required to do. This year I have written it all down!

Allotments and summer holidays do not go together.

well don't have a holiday in the summer, then!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 20:28:21 »
Hope you have a good time in Nice. Can't stand the place personally...........full of traffic, they park 3 abreast, it is hot and sweaty. Oh, and last time I passed through Nice airport, a baggage handler pinched my telescopic hiking stick from my rucksack. :(

Not to mention, it is full of folks on their way to and from Monaco.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 20:31:13 by Bjerreby »

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 20:37:44 »
Having paid 3.50 Euros/Kg for runner beans and  4.00 Euros/Kg for Charlotte potatoes in the local shops, it makes me wonder why I go away. I have already dug some Charlottes at home and my freind is eating free runner beans!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 20:40:47 »
George,
                  Just watched your You Tube video from 2008 and to get to the stage you have in three years is a very well done,  :)

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 20:41:13 »
Nice is nice  :)

Just back from 2 weeks in Spain, while my lotty was well watered by 2 good neighbours, I left my 21 year old son in charge of 6 tomato plants. I left them all uncovered and all he had to do was spray a hose over them every day, he didn't even need to leave the house to do it as the tap is next to the door.

I'm picking up the pieces now.... while my wife is trying to sort out the house  :'(

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 20:45:59 »
My immediate response is "with difficulty!"

bedrockdave

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 22:11:12 »
As Tonybloke says..don't go away...came back after 2 weeks in Lanzarote on Friday and the weeds....what can I say  , Spent today doing nothing but weeding and it only looks slightly better and all the other plot holders tell me the strawberries that fruited while we were gone tasted great plus the cauli's all got to their best at once last week when it was warm so missed them too..Still, did think not to plant the runners too early so they are still growwing

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 10:47:47 »
I would rather stay home myself, but until children have left home it coincides with school holidays. We don't actually go on holiday with the children in the summer as they usually spend two weeks with their father, but it gives us the opportunity to holiday on our own ......usually that means a trip to see the MIL followed by a frantic week somewhere else usually with OH moaning that it's too hot to be on holiday at this time of the year anyway....as we favour UK walking holidays!

This year my oldest is supposed to be staying home working to earn money for Uni, unfortunately there are no jobs. My OH won't leave him at home in his house alone.....he has Aspergers Syndrome and you never know what is going to happen. So we're stuck at home ;D this summer!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 11:50:17 »
Everyday is a holiday for me with my packed lunch on the allotment.  I do go on walking holidays with the Ramblers or Holiday Fellowship but 7 to 10 days is the most I can cope with without getting allotment withdrawal symptons.  Usually spend most of the holiday boring people talking about allotments, but luckily have met some people that also have allotments so we can have good chats whilst walking.  The first thing when I get home is check the house and the cat and then rush to the allotment and how things can change in a week.  I think a winter holiday would be best as at this time of the year everything changes and grows day by day, especially after we had some rain.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 12:01:20 »
George,

I wish I had taken more time off with the family and not fretted about the plot.

The family has had 1 yes one holiday in twenty year and that was in February.

They all enjoyed it but, I was still as you have thinking about good old blighty and when I get back what to do and how much time to spend there.

Enjoy the moment plants have a way of keeping a suprise in stall for you when you return.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 17:51:50 »
Remember the song from "Camelot" when Lancelot sang to Gwen. "If Ever I should Leave yOU, it wouldn't be in springtime knowing how in Spring I'm bewitched by you so...It wouldnt' be in Summer...It wouldn't be in Autumn..."   
well that about sums it up with leaving my garden.

Even in Winter I'm wondering how the cold frame is behaving! ;D
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal