Author Topic: Apple tree and strawberries have arrived!!  (Read 860 times)

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
Apple tree and strawberries have arrived!!
« on: February 13, 2009, 17:13:38 »
Well I'm happy there here but not sure what the next step is wether i should plant into final places or  pot them up in the conservatory for the time being!!

I asked for them to be sent out when they were ready to plant just thought with the frosts might be a bit early  :-\

I have 25 'ostara' strawberries to plant just wondered how many would you plant to a oak half barrel? Also im planning on planting my dwarf apple tree in the other and was wondering if i could plant some more strawberry plants with the tree?

All advice welcomed and much appriciated  ;D

Thanks lucy

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
Re: Apple tree and strawberries have arrived!!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 10:22:12 »
bump!

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 10:33:39 »
I underplant my apple and plum trees with strawberries and both crop well, but these are in the garden ..You would be ok in the tub I think, but you would need to feed periodically.See what others think.
Cheers .. Jim

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 11:18:42 »
Thanks growmore do you think i could plant it all out now? I have some fleece so could protect it but not sure if its still to cold.

There should be a symbol on the packaging that tells me whether to plant out after the last frost but nothing on there? so googled the strawberries and it states plant out in march!!! I'm so confussed  ???

I got it all from Bakkers so the strawberries are in packaging (dormant) they say but surely not until march!

really scratching my head on this one  :-[

lucy

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 20:36:24 »
HI Lucy,
It's dependant on what your filling your barrels with or if they are already filled'
Provided your medium in them isn't saturated or frozen hard I think you will be ok to plant them up now. Strawbs are hardy and your apple should be dormant so you should be ok ...Make sure to tease roots open on apple tree and tamp round it so you dont leave no air spaces around roots.. If your tree has already got  shoots on, You could fleece it if frost is forcast.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 20:38:01 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 21:23:22 »
Thanks growmore yes they are already filled and ready to go. I'm working tomorrow but home by 4 so will get out there then. Will be something to look forward to after a hard day  ;D

I've posted in the edible plants forum asking on how i go about separating the strawberries just looks like a tangled mess at the minute! Read some where to soak them first would this be correct?

Thanks again for your help much appreciated

Lucy

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal