Author Topic: How hardy are B.Squash  (Read 1681 times)

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
How hardy are B.Squash
« on: February 13, 2009, 18:02:17 »
I've started off some butternut and the seedlings are a few inches high and look healthy. Would they survive in a cold greenhouse or a cold frame or is it necessary to keep them in the warmth of the house. I presume they require as much light as other seedlings and the house is a bit gloomy? Thanks.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: How hardy are B.Squash
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 18:29:37 »
I think the answer is not.  My established plants turned their toes up at the first frost in October last year so I don't think seedlings will survive in a coldframe or greenhouse yet.  It's very early for sowing them.  I didn't do mine until March last year and I think I'm an early sower!

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 18:59:07 »
you have started them very very early they hate cold and will just roll over and die at the mere thought of cold, i think that by the time they will be able to go out they will need to be in at least 10/15ltr pots :o
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 19:16:47 »
Last year in my Butternut trial, I took my Butternut seedlings, as well as some Winter squash seedlings to the cool greenhouse towards the end of April. We had some cold nights and though the seedlings were within a mini greenhouse inside the greenhouse, the Butternuts almost died. The Winter squash coped better.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 22:02:13 »
OK, I get the message :) It's just that I was told they required a very long growing season so I thought I'd give them a head start. I'll keep them inside 'till the weather warms up. I sowed some in June last year thinking they would grow like courgettes but got no fruit from them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal