Author Topic: when to plant?  (Read 1813 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
when to plant?
« on: February 13, 2009, 15:11:16 »
What is the earliest maincrop potatoes can be planted. We were watching The Allotment DVDs last night & the man on there was telling someone they could plant there maincrop desire potatoes now, which in the programme was February. I thought late March was the earliest.
Janet.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: when to plant?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 15:57:41 »
I certainly wouldn't plant them any earlier than the end of March, Janet.  :-\

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 16:03:19 »
I am a novice at growing veg. but I believe that most plants stop growing when the ground temperature falls to 6 degrees C.  Rather than rely on dates, I would stick a thermometer in the ground and be guided by that, and how hardy and frost tender the plant in question is. I notice for example that runner beans need far higher temperatures than, say, broad beans.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 16:22:10 »
My next-door-neighbour always used to plant all his potatoes on his birthday, which was at the end of February. But then he sowed his tomato seeds (in an un-heated greenhouse) on Christmas Day! (They were usually through by Easter!!)

Second half of March - in a good year - down here in the sheltered South; or even first week in April.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 16:57:57 »
Its too early for earlies let alone maincrop, we all get carried away by times and dates, the weather is far too cold for spuds yet. You have to remember that the early frosts should have passed before the earlies can be planted. I am aiming for week 11 to plant my earlies but even then the weather has to be OK, I will cheat a bit thou and put 5 trail spuds under large water bottle cloches, but if you plant them and the frosts get to them the frosts will blacken the tops, break them off and they will survive but will put them back up to a couple of weeks so you will have gained nothing, maincrop would be a fortnight after the earlies although some put them in the same time.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 17:12:30 »
 I have planted 15 (rocket ) under a cloche today  I know it is way to early but I think it may be worth the risk. It will not break the bank if they do no good but if they do... it will be well worth it.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 17:29:38 »
A sign I often look for is;

when the new annual weeds (not perennial) start emerging the ground is warming up and then it is worth considering planting out the more hardy plants.

Leave the less hardy stuff until the dandelions come into flower!

This is not exact but is a fair indicator!

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 19:32:36 »
I read this little ditty...

"Don't plant your spuds out till the cuckoo shouts"
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 20:04:34 »
A quote from the garden helper

Potatoes may be planted as soon as the ground can be worked in the early spring, but you must use good judgment. Potato plants will not begin to grow until the soil temperature has reached 45 degrees F. The soil should be evenly moist, but not wet or soggy. If the soil is water logged when you dig, not only will you risk "caking" the soil, your seed potatoes will probably rot before they even get started. Potatoes can tolerate a light frost, but you should provide some frost-protection for the plants when they are young. This can be a loose covering of straw, or a temporary plastic tent. (Be sure to remove or ventilate the plastic on sunny days!) If you plan to store potatoes through the winter, you can plant a second crop as late as June 15.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 09:24:11 »
I think them guys on dvd's and gardening programmes live in a dream world.
I haven't been able to work the soil since November never mind plant stuff out.
We had rain after rain, the soil never dried out enough to be worked.
Walking on it would have done more harm than good. Then the frosts and snow started, there was a frost here this morning . Its gonna take a while of normal temps without any more rain and snow before I can think of planting anything .
For what its worth St Patricks Day 17th of March or the weekend nearest to it is my usual time for planting earlies, usually 3 weeks after for second earlies and maincrop. We are usually lifting earlies for table backend of June .
Even setting them out 17th March, its as Davey1 says you need to keep an eye on em and cover the shoots that appear if there is a danger of frost.

Cheers .. Jim

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 13:30:28 »
I wasn't thinking about planting mine. Just wanted it known what so called experts advocate.
They also said peach curl is an insect & to prune plum trees at the wrong time of year & we haven't watched them all yet.
Janet.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal