Author Topic: BOX  (Read 2331 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
BOX
« on: February 11, 2009, 22:21:38 »
We have bought some box plants can anyone tell me how to start shaping them please, they are about 12" high. Thank you. Rosebud.

Al37

• Half Acre
Re: BOX
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 22:35:30 »
Hi Mary,
I have seen wire cages in the shape of animals that you put over the top and clip the box to the shape then remove the cage. Perhaps you could fashion a shape from mesh or chicken wire clip the box to that shape the cut away the mesh.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 22:55:22 »
I still think Germander is a better option...  :-\

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 23:29:51 »
First. The plant needs to be planted in the ground with plenty of space around it.

Second. Have a cup of tea.

Third. Think for a couple of years about what shape you want it to be.

Fourth. Wait till the plant starts to exceed the imaginary bounds of the shape in your mind.

Fifth. Trim back to the boundary.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 07:26:38 »
Love the reply Eristic!
Rosebud I have a couple of box in medium sized pots that I got when about the same height as yours. I've gradually shaped mine into round ball type thingies. Definitely not perfect but still not a bad attempt. I have read before about using chicken wire to help create the shape you want, but I've never tried it. I tend to give them a re-shape and trim when the new leaves are fully out and use a large pair of shears and SLOWLY and GENTLY clip away, and keep turning the pot around. All a bit hit and miss tho.
It will also depend on how ambitious you are in terms of what shape you want and I think at 12" high you will have to wait a couple of years before you start snipping in anger  :D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 07:28:45 by 1066 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal